Collection Management Software

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by vorbb, Sep 22, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

Hey everybody,

This may or may not sound insane to you, but for the last 12 years or so I have been keeping paper records of my CD collection. I have six 2" binders full of records. I keep about 75 different data fields for each CD in my collection; just some examples: date purchased, where purchased, physical condition of case, physical condition of disk, number of/types of backups*, "trail" of each backup (i.e. ripped from disk to FLAC ---> converted to Apple Lossless ---> Backed up to HDD (with the date of the conversions)), right down to "insignificant" things like the position the disk was in in the case upon first opening (straight up, rotated 45 degrees clockwise, etc.)

Call me OCD.

Anyways, I'm looking to digitize these records. basically, I'm looking for simple software (no Microsoft Access) that will allow me to add individual entries to a database with as many text-based fields for each entry as required.

Does anyone know anything I can use to accomplish this, either web-based or local?

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

Yep, definitely sounds insane to me. You're OCD. :)

I'd like to know as well what apps are avaiable as I'd like to use something similar for my Apple collection and all the parts etc to keep track of everything. I haven't been able to find anything specifically useful for this purpose. I've tried Bento, meh..

3. djellison macrumors 68020

Bento sounds like the trick to me.

That - or use a Google Doc spreadsheet and and create a form based entry (it's very easy to do )

4. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Never tried it myself, but Delicious Monster sounds like it was made just for you.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Bento would be a good option, but only if you are willing to tweak it and personalize it
    You aren't likely to find a template right out of the box that will make you happy

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Naaa..I wouldn't go that far.

Oh...never mind...you're OCD! I love me some information and database tables, but that's beyond even my level of fascination.

I use Filemaker Pro for all my database operations...Bento's big brother. I haven't used Bento, but it will no doubt be enough for you, depending on the level of customization you can do.