Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EttVenter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Hey guys,

Just got an iPad a few weeks ago and I'd love to JB this guy, but I can't seem to find one solid resource/Community to help me out. I'm finding all kinds of guides all over the place for different kinds of JBs, different iOS versions, etc, and it's all a little confusing.

I've got an iPad running the latest update, and I seriously don't know where to start. Any tips?

Thanks!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys,

Just got an iPad a few weeks ago and I'd love to JB this guy, but I can't seem to find one solid resource/Community to help me out. I'm finding all kinds of guides all over the place for different kinds of JBs, different iOS versions, etc, and it's all a little confusing.

I've got an iPad running the latest update, and I seriously don't know where to start. Any tips?

Thanks!

You can only do a tethered Jailbreak at the moment with 4.2.1

Here is a Step by Step:

How to Jailbreak Your iPad Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

How to Jailbreak Your iPad Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]

Check also this Blog for JB updates:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

EttVenter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Awesome links, thanks guys!

Now a few last questions:

What does this mean when it comes to my current apps and app data? For example, I've probably put 10 hours of game time into PvZ and Cut The Rope, and I don't want to lose those saves. If I backup my iPad to iTunes, Jailbreak, and then plug it back into iTunes, can I restore the backup? Will that kill the JB?

Also - what does this mean for when 4.3 is released? Will I have a hard time updating? What if I decide to go with the "un-jailbroken" 4.3, could I just update it through iTunes?

Thanks guys!

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Awesome links, thanks guys!

Now a few last questions:

What does this mean when it comes to my current apps and app data? For example, I've probably put 10 hours of game time into PvZ and Cut The Rope, and I don't want to lose those saves. If I backup my iPad to iTunes, Jailbreak, and then plug it back into iTunes, can I restore the backup? Will that kill the JB?

Also - what does this mean for when 4.3 is released? Will I have a hard time updating? What if I decide to go with the "un-jailbroken" 4.3, could I just update it through iTunes?

Thanks guys!

After the JB you should be able to restore from a backup.

As far as 4.3, if you want to update I would restore your iPad and then update. You'll lose everything that the JB provides. If you want to JB at 4.3, you'll have to wait for an JB update.

EttVenter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
After the JB you should be able to restore from a backup.

I "should"be able to? Or can I definitely? This is pretty much the only thing holding me back.

Also, I'm to understand that if I need to restarted, it needs to be done with redsn0w. Can someone please explain the exact steps to do a reboot?

Thanks!

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London

I "should"be able to? Or can I definitely? This is pretty much the only thing holding me back.

Also, I'm to understand that if I need to restarted, it needs to be done with redsn0w. Can someone please explain the exact steps to do a reboot?

Thanks!

1) Connect your ipad to PC
2) Switch it off
3) Load Redsnow
4) Choose Firmware location
5) Press Next
5.5) Choose "reboot tethered option"
6) Hold off button 3 seconds
7) Keep holding, and hold home button 10 seconds
8) Let go and continue to hold home button
9) let go of home button
10) click finished
11) wait 2 minutes for ipad to startup.

you can create a shortcut to automate steps 4, 5 and 5.5

Sbrit06

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
1) Connect your ipad to PC
2) Switch it off
3) Load Redsnow
4) Choose Firmware location
5) Press Next
5.5) Choose "reboot tethered option"
6) Hold off button 3 seconds
7) Keep holding, and hold home button 10 seconds
8) Let go and continue to hold home button
9) let go of home button
10) click finished
11) wait 2 minutes for ipad to startup.

you can create a shortcut to automate steps 4, 5 and 5.5

great info. kudos

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I hate to ask such a simple question but will the Cydia tweaks I paid for on the jb iPhone that work on both like folder enhancer show as paid in the iPad as well? I assume it would since I log into Cydia with the same profile info?

Would I have to buy the tweaks twice?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hate to ask such a simple question but will the Cydia tweaks I paid for on the jb iPhone that work on both like folder enhancer show as paid in the iPad as well? I assume it would since I log into Cydia with the same profile info?

Would I have to buy the tweaks twice?

That's up to the developer, not really cydia. Most app allow you to installs it on all the iDevices you own, however some developers don't and you have to buy a separate licenses for the iPad

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
That's up to the developer, not really cydia. Most app allow you to installs it on all the iDevices you own, however some developers don't and you have to buy a separate licenses for the iPad

Thanks!

Do you happen to know if their is a list of any kind out there?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks!

Do you happen to know if their is a list of any kind out there?

I doubt it very much, the JB community hasn't reach that level of organization yet LOL, but you can check the developers website for any app that you are concern with. From the top of my head I know that LockInfo is one of those app that it will only run on 1 devices (Developer let you transfer the licenses from device to device up to 3 times I believe).

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I doubt it very much, the JB community hasn't reach that level of organization yet LOL, but you can check the developers website for any app that you are concern with. From the top of my head I know that LockInfo is one of those app that it will only run on 1 devices (Developer let you transfer the licenses from device to device up to 3 times I believe).

Cool, thanks again!

I doubt I'm going to go quite as crazy with the pad. I got $60+ in cydia tweaks for the phone.

I think I'm going to hold the pad down to a few uesful ones.

pruppert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for the instructions guys. I jb just for airvideoenabler and am glad I did. The whole process was a piece of cake.

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Since this is a collection of JB instructions/info thread, I wonder if you JB veterans(vets?:)) could post some MUST-HAVE apps, after a JB is done. (MUST-HAVE apps for a JBed iPad, since we are in an iPad sub-forum.)

I'm a noob with JB. But after I JBed my 3g iPad, I immediately installed the following apps:

1. SBsettings--(gurus, please fill in on what this app does)

2. Makeitmine--to change the carrier to whatever you like, but it failed. It's still ATT, not the name I wanted.:(

3. MyWi--tether another device to your 3g iPad.

Also, interested parties might start a thread, showing the Home screens of your JBed iPads. That would be cool. :cool:

Just some suggestions. ::D

EDIT: Saw the mentioning of InfiniDock and FolderEnhancer in another thread in this same sub-forum. Bought and installed InfiniDock--it's only .99 cents, but bypassed FolderEnhancer. It's kind of pricey--$2.49, and I don't particularly need its features. (You could Google its features.)

Really like InfiniDock. Now I could put as many as ten icons on the dock! Woohoo!!

I reiterate my call: since this is a collection of JB information thread, would you JB vets please post some MUST HAVE or KILLER apps for a JBed iPad? Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.