College application advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by designgeek, Jul 5, 2010.

1. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Hey guys, I've recently been working on a college application for the University of Idaho, since I'm really bored and thought I could meet some nice ladies around campus.;) Anyway, I'm stuck on some of the essay questions and thought some of you more seasoned veterans of the process could help me out. I tried getting drunk and answering them but it's not working (yet).

In case you're interested, the questions are: (all have a 2000 character limit)
    •Please list your activities, offices held, and accomplishments during the past 4 years:

•Please list your honors and awards received during the past 4 years:

•Describe your work experience:

•Please list your community service activities:

•Briefly state your career goals:

The reason I'm stuck is that during the last 3+ years I have only been working and hanging out (no community service activities let alone accomplishments), I only recently decided to do something mildly constructive. During the last year of high school I was not involved in anything (no honors or awards) It did not dawn on me until this moment that I have no answers for these questions. It would appear that a certain amount of lying is in order but I have no idea where to start.

I was thinking of stating that I moved out of my mom's house to a new city without any parental support (during a recession mind you) and seem to still be alive, but I'm sure that's worth nothing.

Thanks for your help.

*Disclaimer: clearly I do not want direct answers, just guidance. ;)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The answers to those questions are pretty unique to you.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

True, but since the OP is looking for lies, anyone can answer :p

Perhaps go out now and do some community service, learn a new skill, volunteer. When does the application have to be submitted by?

You're going to find it very hard to make up a lot of stuff, and if you have a face-to-face interview (I don't know how it's done across the pond) you could very easily get caught up in your lies.

4. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

I should probably clarify, I'm mostly curious as to what you would answer in this situation, I don't want something I can copy and paste and I certainly don't want to make up some grandiose story about how I give out candy to war orphans every Sunday after church. When you (anyone) applied, what worked for you? I'm kind of lost with these vague questions.

5. PanzyCat macrumors newbie

I wrote that I developed iPhone apps, and some of them were featured by apple as New and Noteworthy. I also took honors classes, but I never really won any awards. I did, however, win some menial awards such as highest English average and similar awards.

So for your application, just write what you actually did, but beef it up. Make it sound like you were really passionate about what you did, and if it didn't pay much or something like that, you kept at it because it was something you were really passionate about.

Like ethical said, go out and find some community service things and do them.

Hope that helped!

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Another way to spin this is :
    you were too busy working menial jobs to live off, to be able to afford to volunteer and do extra curricular activities
    hence why you are going to college to get a degree than will hopefully land you a better job and enable you to have some free time (and $) to devote to good causes
    :cool:
    Also that work experience has taught you valuable skills in time management and focus on task at hand - all useful for being a good student

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Clearly, you can answer one question honestly. You may not want to, if your job sucked, but you could.

Also, if you don't have any career goals, why are you going to college? It can't be for the drinking, as you seem to have that nailed. If you do have career goals, then you can answer that question.