College choice advice (BS-IT)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by r.j.s, Oct 2, 2010.

1. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Next week, I will be graduating from Central Texas College with an associate degree in Computer Science (AAS-CS). I am looking for a school to complete my bachelor degree in Information Technology.

Here are some important facts to consider:
    • I am active duty military
    • All the classes must be done online
    • semester hour costs are capped at $250/hour (in order to get free tuition)

I am currently considering Excelsior College for their BS-IT degree, with a concentration in either Information Security or Network Management.

Thoughts/suggestions?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm off-topic, but...

250$/hour? The tuition for the entire year in Québec is about 2600$... :eek:

(Not trying to start a discussion about this, I'm just amazed by the cost of studying south of the border.)

3. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

We pay about 30k a year in tuition where I go...

4. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

$250/hour is just the max that the Army will pay ... CTC was only like $40/hour.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say go for a full fledged CS degree but that would more than likely require much higher math and Science than you want to get into.

You could look at University of Houston or University of Houston Clear Lake. I want to say some have some pretty good online only programs or may be able to work with you to create one. Advantage is those schools names will carry a little more weight.

I know Texas Tech at one point had a program like what you are looking for. I am not sure if it is still their but worth looking into.

6. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, I'm more interested in the technical portion of it, rather than the core math/science.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well some other degrees to look at is a M.I.S (Management Information Systems) it is a business degree so you will have to deal with those annoying business classes but from what I understand is a good degree if you want to get into IT.