College Discount Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iChrisG, Jul 31, 2008.

1. iChrisG macrumors member

Hey, I have a question about the college discount.

So, do you just put the school you go to? Or do you have to show your ID? Does it notify the school?

I'm just a bit confused. Can someone please tell me what happened?

Thanks!

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Whenever I place an order it asks for the school and my student ID

can't say anyone from my university ever notified me about getting a notice

i think it's just a check to see if you are anywhere NEAR a student

3. iChrisG thread starter macrumors member

Ahhh...that explains so much!

Thank you much!

4. PrettyNPink macrumors newbie

I think Apple records your student# and name in some sort of database because they have a limit as to how many of each product you can purchase per year with the student discount. I'm not entirely sure how strict they are on this though.

5. jroller macrumors regular

It is my impression they are not strict about this at all and I know of no one who was ever asked to validate his claim to be a student. That said, I am not advocating anyone lie about this to take an unwarranted discount.

6. SkiHound macrumors member

Might depend on who you talk to and they may be more diligent about checking student IDs. I do research at a hospital. The research is affiliated with two different universities. I have adjunct status at one and they list any publications with which I'm affiliated on their web site and in their annual reports. However, they've never given me an ID card (I've never asked either). I went to the Apple store "armed" with a letter from the chair of the department in which I hold adjuct status. The folks at the Apple store were happy to give me the educational discount. There was no educational id # recorded.

7. jroller macrumors regular

Skihound raises a good point that I was not really thinking about: going into an Apple store to buy.

That may be a completely different situation, and I suspect they would check credentials there. My comment was based on an online purchase only.

8. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I bought a MacBook for my son last year and the only thing I had proving his student status was a big hit on my Amex Card. I pulled up my online Amex account and showed the Apple Store manager and they gave me the discount! :D

9. iOrlando macrumors 68000

yeah the system is generally lax. Dont worry apple is still making a nice profit on all you college kiddies.

For the most part, apple just ties your info to the particular college. In-store purchase..obviously..will look for id or something. Online there isnt much. I have heard of some random audits, but not much.

Apple loves these deals because
    1) college is that place where people often buy what others have. Hence put apple in the classroom, more students will look towards mac
    2) get them while they are young...similar to how MSFT hooked the older generation with their 1990s presence, apple understands if students get macs now, they will be mac lovers in the future.

So do apple a favor, buy the mac and get the nice free ipod touch too. Sept 15...deadline

10. MattKanzler macrumors member

I just bought a new MacBook 3 days ago and they only ask you to identify your school, and take money off right away. Not strict about it at all. Anyone could do it.

11. iChrisG thread starter macrumors member

So, they don't alert your school at all or anything?

Thank you everyone for all the answers!

12. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Occasionally I think they may fax the university and ask them if anyone on a list is not really affiliated with the institution, or something like that, if you order online -- just audits.

When you go to the store, they give you a discount just for showing ID.

13. MattKanzler macrumors member

Nope! You could also use your high school too if you are worried!