College discounts

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinkster, Jun 20, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I have a brother looking to use the back to school discounts apple offers.

Any catches or is it pretty much just what they say?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah hes in college.

maybe i'll borrow this from him in future years if he doesnt need an upgrade himself.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's people like this that get rid of the discounts for the rest of us. :(

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How so? A student can purchase with the discount. Apple doesn't control what they do with it afterward.

6. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont think that many people know about it anyway. and apple isn't just handing out free stuff, i'm sure their marketing has found it to be worth it for them one way or another.

7. iBadger macrumors member

Yea, the college student buys it at a discount and loves it. This student is now brand loyal and continues to buy Macs for many years to come.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't see if the OP's brother decides to let them "borrow it". My father borrows my non-edu purchased MacBook Pro occasionally, and yes, I paid for it in full...

9. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean that he'd buy it for me with the edu discount, then id pay him back of course.

10. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

OMG i know $100 , we should be grateful :rolleyes: lol get over it apple is not losing money

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I... don't think you understand.

WE'RE losing money if we DON'T get the discount. Screw Apple. They make 15% even WITH the education discount. You missed the point entirely.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

So you think everyone should qualify for every discount all the time then? Hm, solid reasoning.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think that the people who qualify for Apple's discounts should get Apple's discounts and the rest of them should deal with the fact that they have to pay the standard price because they don't qualify.

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Oh god do you look for things to act like a dork about? Who gives a rip if he wants to use the discount, that doesn't matter. I get the FAN discount on my AT&T account, and its a family plan. My discount is for University students, but my mom and grandma are on the plan and they no longer attend school, does that make me a awful person in your eyes now also? You must be bored.

15. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

The problem is that their student discounts pale in comparison to some other PC manufacturers.

In Canada i can get $50 off of an entry level macbook, that's not good at all.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm curious to whom your avatar applies, as you seem to be the whiner here. ;)

"Who gives a rip"? If you don't know the answer, you don't know much of anything about how to run a business.

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Nada, see you are whining about people sharing the college discount. Mk? Apple obviously doesn't care that much. Why? Because students can buy 1 system a year. It never says that they need to keep it, they can do whatever they want with it. If Apple was that concerned they would schedule monthly "are you still in possession of this Mac" visits.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I see this brought up quite often. Apple doesn't control if you possess the 1 machine a year that you buy.

Buy it for a friend or sibling. As long as you're a student and you stick to those rules Apple doesn't care who you hand it off to after it leaves their store.

19. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

Just to chime in, but I have never encountered the "1 system a year" clause. I've gotten 3 Macs on 3 different occasions from the same Apple Store within the same 1-year span using my same info and card. They never take down info besides credit card swipes, I think. They just look at the ID card from my college and get to selling Macs to me.