College internet question?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Goroke, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Goroke macrumors member

I was wondering if the college internet services really keep track of everything you do and penalize you if you do something illegal? (Illegal downloading, Bittorrent, others) fyi, I'm in UCR (University of California, Riverside)

2. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Depends on the college. Check with their IT department.

The college I went to, for example, only penalized you if you got caught by the RIAA/MPAA/whatever and got sent a cease and desist, but they didn't actively search for people torrenting.

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

My school just has a system set up so that torrents won't connect and most p2p apps (limewire and such) don't work. However because of this they're pretty lenient about everything else. So unless you upload/download a LOT (5-10+ gb/day) they don't take notice of what's happening on the network. Except with DC++... we've had several servers come up and get shut down over the past few years.

5. Goroke thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, but what's RIAA/MPAA? And could the school also check the content that's inside your computer? You know...for...yea >____> (Guys should know what I'm talking about...)

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

they are becoming more and more stricked these days.

While I was in the dorm 3 years ago they Torrets where pretty limited in how well they worked and as such only relatively few good connection and slow downloads

they did monitor for viruses and if the computer was spitting them out they would kill your connection. Mind you this was the reason I said behind a router at school.

Most of the time they did not do any thing personally to you unless something legal came in demanding it.

7. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

As other posters said, it all depends on where you go to school. Some schools only pay attention to external traffic--so an internal DC++ hub or similar might not even come up on the radar. The short answer is simply to be prepared to deal with the full consequences of your actions. It's only legal if you don't do it, not just if you don't get caught ;)

8. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

School Internet access is intended (at my Community College) for students to complete their homework. Use your residential or business connection for bit torrent, or whatever.

I remember reading in the Mac Rumors rules that warez talk was prohibited. So please stay on topic. Just a friendly reminder.:eek: