College: iPad 2 or MBP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brandonhodge, Dec 16, 2010.

1. brandonhodge macrumors newbie

Im torn between these two devices. A new Macbook Pro would clearly be all I need to get through college and all, but would an iPad 2 seemingly be a better option? A stand and BT keyboard would be obvious additions but I may save some money in the long run.. What should I do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Considering the iPad 2 is not a released product, I don't see how it can be in consideration.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

This is a no brainer, buy the MBP. You can buy a 2.4GHz MBP for around $1,100. This is what I purchased both of my kids.

4. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

The iPad is a great device and I love mine, but it is not a replacement for a fully capable computer in my opinion

For me, this would be a no brainer, take the MBP

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

MBP is def the way to go for school

Get the 13" for $1100 minus school discount

2.4 w/ 4GB of RAM is a no brained IMO

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

MBP.

Before anyone says otherwise, I do think an iPad can function great as both a consumption and production device, but that doesn't change the fact that — as a standalone solution — a MBP can do a whole lot more right now, and you'll be better off with it for school.

Among other things, you might sign up for a class that uses software that doesn't run on an iPad. Without a secondary computer besides the iPad, your options for back-up are far more limited than with a MBP. Unless you'll have another Mac or PC around anyway, a MBP makes more sense.

7. MacSignal macrumors regular

MBP is the only reasonable choice. Maybe iPad 10 or something will be able to replace a fully functional 2010 MBP for college work, but not any time soon.

8. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

You've got to have a computer for the iPad to sync to, so you need the MBP.

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'd go with the mbp as well. I will be attempting to use my iPad around campus, but ill be using my mini at home for papers and possible work that would require multiple windows open. Start with the mbp and then save up for the iPad as a companion device.

10. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I would go with the MBP as well. The ipad is great but you need a computer.. And if you can wait till july/august you can get a free ipod. and a rebate for a printer and other goodies. Ipad would be great for notes in class but you have 4 years assuming you will be starting now. best of luck. don't spend to much time on the MBP though. it's 4 years that never happen again! :D;)

11. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

MBP, that is the only viable way to handle the word processing and presentation work, in a simple manner. You will likely have a lot of both to do. YMMV, IMHO.

12. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

like everyone else, I must say to get **** done, you need a MBP.

if you don't mind looking like an ass in class then get a bluetooth keyboard and an iPad (or one of those fancy keyboard-cases for the iPad). You can at least take notes on it like that.

But is it the better option? No.

Stick with MBP, imo, and the whole forum's.

13. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

I have both the MBP and iPad and I can tell you from practical experience that the iPad is 80% useless for school.

If you are a paper note taker and are looking for a portable internet connected device for boring lectures then go with the iPad.

If you want a fully capable machine that will last you through most of college then go with the MBP.

14. brandonhodge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the help and advice. I most likely will go MBP before Summers end. I guess the iPad isnt as "world" ready as I thought.

15. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong the iPad is awesome at what it is good for but it isn't a school productivity tool.

16. jazziethomas macrumors member

If I were you I would go for the MBP, iPad is not really ideal for some college work or stuffs this is why MBP is a much better choice than he iPad.