College iPod rebate question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by untogether, Jun 21, 2009.

1. untogether macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get one of those shiny new MBPs. I'm not a college student, but my girlfriend is. Does anyone know how strict the rebate procedure is? i.e. could I pay for the laptop and iPod, then claim the rebate under her name? Or would they complain at the difference between billing name and rebate name?

(the rebate could be paid to her, that's not a problem)

2. celticpride678

The way it works is that they need to see the student ID card from the college (whether it is you or not) and then they give you the discount/free iPod. It does not matter who you claim the rebate under/what name you pay with.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Quite a few users have reported being able to receive the student discount in an Apple Retail Store simply by saying that they were a college student. But, best to take your girlfriend to the store...

Or you could try the Best Buy method...

4. untogether thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have said in my original post- I'm actually ordering online because I want one of the custom HD options (they can't do that instore, right?). But that all sounds like good news, thanks!

Now to start working out how to turn my old MacBook into an AppleTV equivalent... :D

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes...doing it in-store would remove a custom hd option.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

The chances are slim, but you could be audited. I would give the story that you're buying it for her as a gift or something. Then, if they ask, you have a good back story.

7. MAC~n~Cheese macrumors newbie

My bf used the education discount about a year or two after he graduated from college with no problems. He ordered online also, and just stated the school information. Nobody ever followed up with him about it.

I'll be ordering here soon and using the education discount too, although i am actually a student. I can post back if i have to verify it in any way though.

8. jaycebeasley macrumors newbie

jaycebeasley

I used the ed discount last month, (graduated over 2 years ago) and though I haven't technically received my rebate check yet...it has gone through so far, no questions asked.

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a