Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

persianpunisher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
I was in your shoes about 2 weeks ago, i needed a computer for school. I was deciding between a 12" PB and an iBook. I had my mind SET on the PB, then I realized i would be spending 300 dollars extra on features I wouldnt use(i.e. Spanning). I got a 14" with 100gb HD for less than a base 12'' PB. You will love the iBook, trust me. Its great. Very quick, even though i reccomend going with a 1GB stick. Its a great buy.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
I would normally recommend the powerbook, but at the moment the iBook looks really good for its price. But if you can wait until september for the paris expo there could be an update.

Stereo 99

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
well since there is a topic on this and i need to get a mac laptop aswell, what would be the best for video editing with final cut pro 4.5? im going to be a film student and i was thinking of the 14 inch ibook or the 15 in powerbook combo. my friend has an older ibook 14 in and he edits with fcp on it all the time. so im really confused

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
The display on the 15" Powerbook is really incredible. That's pretty much the major advantage the PB has over the iBook. Not sure if that's worth the $750 premium to you - probably not. Anyway, I'd wait for the update, there's supposed to be one in a couple of weeks.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
tristan said:
The display on the 15" Powerbook is really incredible. That's pretty much the major advantage the PB has over the iBook. Not sure if that's worth the $750 premium to you - probably not. Anyway, I'd wait for the update, there's supposed to be one in a couple of weeks.

or the DVI for second monitor, dual monitor, S-video, pc card slot, better graphics card, faster cpu, faster FSB, faster HD, more RAM. looks better. They all add up to make the powerbook in my opinion much better than the iBook.

Even my new 12" powerbook has double the vRAM of the iBook and it is a better graphics card.

Stereo 99

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
well the money makes no difference but i just hope its before that deal for college students ends. i know the expo in paris starts the 20th but when their going to release the news i dont know

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
After a year of college with a Powerbook:

If you are a Apple user, you probably plan on using your laptop, which is good. Too many people at college buy laptops, giant laptops, and then Don't Use Them. Ask yourself if you really want a laptop, and not a desktop.
Having said that I used my powerbook like mad all last year, and sometimes it was even in my room ;)

[see specs below]
I use my computer for a few games, and major photo editing. I'm glad I go the Powerbook, but only because back when I got it, the span between the PB and the iBooks was far larger. I'm not sure there were iBooks over 1ghz when I bought my PB.

For your use I would think the iBook will do just fine, better than fine. I would suggest getting yourself to a gig of ram as soon as you get the computer. I only just did this last week (went from 512 to 1.25) and WOW, let me tell you. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Best of luck to you though! Strut that iBook like it's a giant gold necklace ;) :D

Stereo 99

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
i dont know i just found a thread asking the same question but also as a poll on spymac. 57 people said go with powerbook when only aout 20 said go with the ibook. im confused

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Stereo 99 said:
i dont know i just found a thread asking the same question but also as a poll on spymac. 57 people said go with powerbook when only aout 20 said go with the ibook. im confused

If you're going to college with Daddies new Lexus get the powerbook. If you're like most of us and actually have a budget, get the iBook.
If you have the extra cash, go for the Powerbook. But for the price hike, and with what you listed as your goals for the computer, I would say that you aren't paying for what you get in the jump to a PB.

~Tyler

ps
No offense to all you Lexus driving college kids ;)

Stereo 99

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
no well i need to know straight up what is better for editing. ive herd alot that the powerbook is better for it and in the long run well worth it. ive heard that doing it on an ibook doesnt do anything and its fine. ive gotten so many mixed reviews i just need to know ibook or powerbook for editing. i plan on doing some editing but i will be using it for alot of cinematography sofware.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
here goes some serious flame bait...

whenever i am out and see a group of people with apple laptops, the girls are always the ones using the iBooks... :p

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
tekmoe said:
here goes some serious flame bait...

whenever i am out and see a group of people with apple laptops, the girls are always the ones using the iBooks... :p

HAHA! Well im sry to those male iBook users but i agree with that observation. Anyways back to your situation...

Although the iBook is an absolutely fantastic bargain right now, i suggest the 15" PowerBook if you really want to do editing. I used to have a 12" iBook and after getting a PowerBook there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever, especially when it comes to editing. The whole design of the PowerBook is superior to the iBook, even though they are two different classes of laptops geared towards different buyers. So as far as editing goes you will have a more pleasurable experience editing on a PowerBook, but if your budget can only afford an iBook, then it will do the job, just not as majestically as a PowerBook...

not to mention...The 15" screen is absolutely flawless... :D

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I had a similar choice to make and I choose the iBook. For what I do (Safari, MS Office, iTunes, lite use of Photoshop Elements 2.0, organizing photos) I find the 14" iBook to be great. Never slows down and is plenty fast. If you plan on playing games then the 15" Powerbook is for you. But if you are like me and do the above mentioned activities, then the iBook is more then enough. Since you are a college student you can take advantage of the iPod and printer promo and either have 2 nice accessories or sell them off to help pay for your new computer.

If you don't need a computer right away and are not planning on taking advantage of these promos and are still leaning toward the 15" Powerbook, I suggest waiting till Paris Expo in 3 weeks due to a possible (read: certain) update to the Powerbook line which will differentiate them from the iBook since they are so close in specs right now.

Stereo 99

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
your right well since i do, do some gaming and edit and and all ill probably stick with the powerbook. now say they do release a new version of the powerbook at the expo and i bought mine a day before they released it, would i be able to return it and get a newer powerbook?

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Stereo 99 said:
your right well since i do, do some gaming and edit and and all ill probably stick with the powerbook. now say they do release a new version of the powerbook at the expo and i bought mine a day before they released it, would i be able to return it and get a newer powerbook?

No.

After the 14 days they wont take back. During the 14 days if there is a update for the PowerBook, you can only return and then buy it again. If it is opened you have to pay a restocking fee.

I asked when I had bought my PB a month ago. :)

scifiman

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
imho, the only reason to get the PB is for FCP! The faster RAM, HD, vid card, and screen real estate will help with the rendering and room for all the controls.

The case can also be made for games on a Mac (such as my favorite, WoW) however a college student who plays games generally plays more than one and since the selection of games on a mac is limited, that will usually drive the student to get a PC. Sad but true. :( Most gamers I think will have two machines. Their mac which is used for everything except games. And then a cheap pc to satify their craving on :)

However for EVERYTHING else, i would recommend the iBook. The difference in the specs is not worth the price premium of the PB for what a typical college student will be doing. Most college students will not have gig-eth in their dorms. The faster components won't fetch your email noticably faster, nor will the 1" smaller screen prevent you from seeing 'normal' websites as they are usually coded for 1024x768 or 800x600 anyway. When I started college I got a brand new TiBook 500 which at the time was light years ahead of the iBook, mainly because the iBook was still using a G3 proc. Now the differences are so small I only see one option for the average college student, the iBook. If I were to get another Mac laptop RIGHT NOW it would be the iBook.
With that being said, this time next year, after the Mactels (or whatever you want to call them) come out, my opinion will probably be to get the PB. But we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Lopez.T.H.

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Apple's Refurb Store has a 14" 1.33Ghz G4 for the same price as a 12" iBook now. It must have been before the update. But a 14" for the price of a 12" I think thats an ok deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.