College laptop question!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BowZinger, Jan 4, 2008.

1. BowZinger macrumors member

Hey all, I am going to be starting college in September (I know it's a ways away) anyways. I am looking into getting a macbook pro, I currently have a blackbook which I love but I need something with a bit more power and a videocard. Anyways I am going to be getting a degree in IT. I know that macworld is coming up soon and that apple may introduce some changes and I am planning on waiting to see what develops before I purchase.

Ok now for the actual question, I would like to get the laptop soon so I have some time work with it with some projects that I have before I go to school. What I am wondering is this, if I order one before September I know that there will always be updates. Will the computer "last" as in be good for 4 years of college? Should I wait until it gets closer to September? I really want to get it ASAP but I am a bit torn. looking for some input!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well, you don't have to update if you don't want to, as a computer usually lasts quite a few years. Some people upgrade every year, but others are still using 10 year old G3s and it's fine for their needs.

Typically in a few years you would probably be lusting after the latest and greatest... Case in point: how long have you had your MacBook? =p

You don't need a graphics card for IT field, unless 3d design. But seems like you would like a graphics card for games and other purposes. So it's totally up to you and your budget.

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Wait as long as you can. If you want until the summer, you can probably get a free iPod with it.

4. kg1984 macrumors member

You'd qualify for a student discount once you got to college... unless you qualify already? That 5-10% may be something to think about in favor of waiting.

Also (at least here in the UK) they did a back-to-college type offer in September with a free iPod with a computer purchase (though that may have been just with a MacBook).

5. BowZinger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies all, I appreciate all the responses! I was asking because I am on a limited budget and don't have all that much money to put towards college so I was looking to see if a macbook pro would be a good computer for four years of college since I doubt I would be able to buy a new one in 2 years or so.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

As others have said, you don't need an MBP for college any more than people need SUVs to commute. If you want to upgrade because you want an MBP, do it, but don't do it because you think you'll actually need one for four years as an undergraduate, because you won't. Not in IT, not in any major.

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Well, yes, not in IT, but if you are in say... DESIGN (game design or product design... not so much graphic design) and have a lot of 3d rendering and such then a graphics card is sorta a necessity, so in my case, I "needed" a macbook pro instead of just a macbook.

I use quotes because no one really needs a computer in college at all, as there are plenty on campuses to use, but as far as the difference between a macbook and macbook pro. Some majors will make use of the graphics card.

A macbook pro should easily last you 4 years. I wouldn't worry about it. Not to mention you will have access to a lot of computers on campus too.

AND

don't forget, if for some reason 2 or 3 years down the line you do decide your computer could use an update... apple computers tend to have a much better resale value then other pc manufactured ones to, so you may be able to upgrade for a smaller price then you may expect, so if you really do decide to upgrade you may be able to swing it with a month or two at a part time local burger joint or something.

But yes. A macbook pro will probably last you all of college as long as you treat it well (check into applecare, home owners insurance or type of coverage your credit card or bank gives oyu on purchases made through it like this... my citi card auto doubles the original 1 year warranty to 2) If you want your computer to last that long, you definite should get some sort of coverage for piece of mind.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so true for most part

i had an emac for the first 3 years of my engineering curriculum and the my cd blackbook the last 2 years of my major.

AND I still have no reason to upgrade lol

why do you want to throw away 2000 again? in all seriousness that is what would be happening in my opinion. buying a mbp for the sake of having a mbp.

owell its your money lol just my 2 cents

further strengthens my point of why even get one if you have a blackbook lol.

maybe wait till soph or jun year to update

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, wait until June. You'll qualify for the iPod rebate, and even if you don't want one, you can sell it. Not to mention the fact that you'll qualify for the college discount (~10%) and you'll get a "newer" machine when you're ready for college.

As for whether or not you should buy one, I'm going to say not. If the macbook is doing what you need it to, why waste the money this year? You can hold off until the following summer and that computer will make it through the remainder of your BA/BS years with ease.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try out your blackbook in your IT degree and if the integrated graphics is not enough beef get a macbook pro. also wait until after macworld before you purchase

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If it's of any help, I used my macbook for my Computer Science degree and had absolutely no issues in regards to anything with it.

Surely an I.T degree would be fine with a macbook?

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i agree.

IT has nothing to do with graphics processing. A macbook will do fine.

I have an MBP, and i first went into ICS my first quarter of college. Hated it, but nevertheless we just worked with simple java programming and drawing circles and smiley faces and animated with our code. No graphics for ICS or CSE. (i know ICS is totally different from IT, but just to show another computer related major).

i honestly bought the MBP over the macbook for gaming.

A macbook's the logical choice here, from the objective standpoint. But we can't do anything if you convince yourself that somehow you need the pro version.

13. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I would wait through the summer. We will either see bumps to pro-line in the next couple of weeks or even a completely updated line. In any case, if we see a new line you could expect to see those specs. bumped before September. This is the pro-line's update history. If you absolutely need something before fall at least wait until June or July and just keep you eyes on the rumors. Also, keep in mind that usually after any update that Apple does there are some terrific deals to be had on the refurb. page at the Apple store!

And whether you need it or not, get the computer you want. It doesn't matter if you spend $1,000 or $3,000, you need to be happy with your purchase!

14. Mr D macrumors 6502

I would probably wait till the summer or basically the last minute. At LEAST after mac world.

They usually run a promotion with a free iPod included when the new school year starts again.

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

This is just my advice, but you should wait until June. I know its far off but it will be worth it. I think Intel releases Quad Core Mobile Platform, I forget the platform name. But, your choice.

16. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Save your money. Buy in a couple years when you just can't stand it anymore.