Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, im currently a freshman at CMU. When i applied here, i applied to the math department. I thought it was what i wanted to do as it was the only subject i was good at in high school.

Well, now that i think about it, i dont like math - i deceived myself with the connection of what im good at is what i want to do. I merely thought i liked it.

Do you think business is a good major for someone who doesnt know what to major in? (I eventually have to pick one - right now i have absolutely nothing in mind except getting out and doing hip hop in Korea).

Is business a good major for those who dont know what to major in?

Just FYI - planning to get a bachelors or maybe Masters if i have the patience (as a backup plan incase hip hop does not yield financially, though it is what i love)

Please opine your thoughts please, thanks.

I would really appreciate your thoughts as i am depressed lately, though i dont want to admit it - just lying in bed all day havent worked all day and may be failing some classes.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I would hold off as long as possible in declaring a major. I switched majors 4 times my first time I was in college and it really hindered my progress, mostly because I would move to completely different degree and some credits wouldn't count towards the new degree.

I went from Graphic Design, to accounting, to Fire Protection and Safety Technology during my first 3 1/2 years of school. Then after being deployed I tried my hand in Photography classes online and then took a few more under Business Management. After having a job working around a certain fortune 500 company, I realized I should have followed my passion I discovered in 2004 to begin with. So now I'm back in college after a 5 year break and doing Computer Science.

Take your time in deciding.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Business seems to be the new liberal arts in some cases. I majored in business as a fall back when I couldn't proceed with my first choice, despite my desire to.

So you want to do something with hip-hop? Is there anything else you want to do in life?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It depends. You may not want to be a math major but would like a major more math based like engineering and computer science.
I would strongly recommend you go to your colleges career center. They have some really good test to help point you in the right direction on what you would like to do for a career and from that they can point you for a major.

On I took is 90% accurate 2 years out and 50% life time. All that means is how your scores on it will change over time and it is a great base line. I would go there and talk with them.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I always wanted to get a Ph.D. in Math. I'd love to be a college professor.

But back to your question, "is business a good major for those who dont know what to major in?" I'd say no, unless you're co-majoring in something else, or you already have an undergraduate degree in something else and are pursuing the business degree as a Master's level degree.

Don't feel bad not knowing what you want to major in, or considering changing your major - I read long ago that the average undergraduate changes majors 3 times before they graduate. I went from "engineering undecided" to "aerospace engineering" before finally graduating in "mechanical engineering." I was lucky, only one of my classes changed during that whole ordeal. You'll find many examples of people making much more drastic changes to their major and coming out just fine.

Follow what you want to do, and you'll find a way to be good at it.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
hip hop in korea might not really make a lot of money. But hey... I heard you had that issue of mistaking what you liked with what you are good at. Don't make the same mistake with what you think will make money. Do something you like, are good at, and makes money. Its called the trifecta! Business is a good all around major. Take a career test at your school. They have them offered. I did when I was in college and it helped me somewhat. But hey now I'm graduated with a major I like, but don't really want to work in.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I always wanted to get a Ph.D. in Math. I'd love to be a college professor.

But back to your question, "is business a good major for those who dont know what to major in?" I'd say no, unless you're co-majoring in something else, or you already have an undergraduate degree in something else and are pursuing the business degree as a Master's level degree.

Don't feel bad not knowing what you want to major in, or considering changing your major - I read long ago that the average undergraduate changes majors 3 times before they graduate. I went from "engineering undecided" to "aerospace engineering" before finally graduating in "mechanical engineering." I was lucky, only one of my classes changed during that whole ordeal. You'll find many examples of people making much more drastic changes to their major and coming out just fine.

Follow what you want to do, and you'll find a way to be good at it.

yep. I have 2 bacholor degrees.

First degree is in Constuction Engineering. Degree 2 is Computer Science.

Only reason I got a degree in Construction is because I was changing majors out of Civil and did not want to lose as many credits. If I had it to do over again I would of gone CS the first time instead of having to go back to school for another degree. I more or less spend 2.5 years working on my CS degree full time instead of eating just 1 year of lost credits I had to eat 2.5 years because I completed my first degree in something I really did not care about.
That being said my first degree and year of working in the field for it really did help me land my current job that lets me oddly enough use some of my first degree.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your stories, encouragements, and advice. Right now, I'm just trying to hold off I guess in declaring my real major.

It's really helpful to have people like you guys helping out. I'll try to wait it out a bit before I start worrying again lol I guess.. Until I find something.

I'll try talking with couselors, friends, etc.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I would hold off as long as possible in declaring a major. I switched majors 4 times my first time I was in college and it really hindered my progress, mostly because I would move to completely different degree and some credits wouldn't count towards the new degree.

I went from Graphic Design, to accounting, to Fire Protection and Safety Technology during my first 3 1/2 years of school. Then after being deployed I tried my hand in Photography classes online and then took a few more under Business Management. After having a job working around a certain fortune 500 company, I realized I should have followed my passion I discovered in 2004 to begin with. So now I'm back in college after a 5 year break and doing Computer Science.

Take your time in deciding.

I disagree.

If you don't know what you want to major in, it is FOOLISH to pay thousands a year working towards nothing

Sit out a semester or two to figure yourself out.

Don't rack up additional debt for taking classes that aren't helping you obtain something.

Too many people head to college right off the bat because that is what is expected with no goal in mind.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
hip hop in korea might not really make a lot of money. But hey... I heard you had that issue of mistaking what you liked with what you are good at. Don't make the same mistake with what you think will make money. Do something you like, are good at, and makes money. Its called the trifecta! Business is a good all around major. Take a career test at your school. They have them offered. I did when I was in college and it helped me somewhat. But hey now I'm graduated with a major I like, but don't really want to work in.

I used to want a job with lots of money. Now, I don't really mind - as long I can can live happily. And no, im not associating hip hop with money. I'm doing it because i really love it - been in to it since elementary school and have started rapping a few years ago.

But what i worry is how hip hop has a lot of competition - wont get recognized and no money (brings me back to money issue)

Im fine with little money, but i dont want to be dirt poor - just want to do something i love, but at the same time live satisfied and "decently" - i dont need those luxuries

But i guess im gonna try first (after college and going through the agony and time choosing "a major i want" as there is nothing in mind cept hip hop.)

Edit - and i also worry i might waste time and years choosing a "major that i want" (as backup for now) and when i get old, might be too old to even start in the hip hop industry. But yeah, i'll keep all these comments in mind and much love to ya'll

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I disagree.

If you don't know what you want to major in, it is FOOLISH to pay thousands a year working towards nothing

Don't rack up additional debt for taking classes that aren't helping you obtain something.

Too many people head to college right off the bat because that is what is expected with no goal in mind.

I am in complete agreement. I'm glad I took time off of college to work a couple of real jobs. I wish I had done that to begin with. I do feel that too much pressure is put on high school kids to go to college right away.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
I disagree.

Absolutely. Taking a break was the best move for me. Started out with Physics, and though I loved it, I didn't have the academic mindset at the time so I took a leave of absence in order to find something more engaging. Eventually went back to school, studied something I loved and had a good time.

Go Tartans.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Hi, im currently a freshman at CMU. When i applied here, i applied to the math department. I thought it was what i wanted to do as it was the only subject i was good at in high school.

Well, now that i think about it, i dont like math - i deceived myself with the connection of what im good at is what i want to do. I merely thought i liked it.

Do you think business is a good major for someone who doesnt know what to major in? (I eventually have to pick one - right now i have absolutely nothing in mind except getting out and doing hip hop in Korea).

Is business a good major for those who dont know what to major in?

Just FYI - planning to get a bachelors or maybe Masters if i have the patience (as a backup plan incase hip hop does not yield financially, though it is what i love)

Please opine your thoughts please, thanks.

I would really appreciate your thoughts as i am depressed lately, though i dont want to admit it - just lying in bed all day havent worked all day and may be failing some classes.

Engineering. Use your math skills to do things.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I may consider taking a break after this semester, then. But the problem is im keeping my mind closed and do not like anything right now, cept going for hip hop.

And for those who say do engineering, i dont like math lol.
I am just into hip hop and the reason i am still in college is because i already came this far and chose CMU, parents would go ape lol.

I guess i could take a leave of absence..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.