Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laptop or Desktop?

• Laptop

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Desktop

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Should I avoid AMD processors?
Should I stick with Intel?

Oh. Good news. I expect my post graduation budget to be about 1100 or so.

That sure changes things.

cylonsandcrips

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2006
something to think about, in favor of a desktop...

i knew a good handful of people who got their laptops stolen during college. i knew zero people who had their desktops stolen. if you don't want to have to be paranoid all the time about where your laptop is and if you can leave it out for five seconds while you go to the bathroom or go photocopy something, whatever... then a desktop is a pretty nice solution. sure, a mini is a little smaller and easier to carry - but let's be honest, most college kids are going to be way too lazy to unhook a computer, monitor, and whatever else is attached, and somehow stick it under their shirts or something in order to inconspicuously steal it.
plus, some of us just hate carrying extra heavy things around in addition to our textbooks - most of the classrooms where i wanted/needed a computer had several available for me to use during class. plus, if you have a laptop, you need to not be a clumsy clod like myself - a desktop can be secured and positioned so that it's relatively difficult to hurt, and certainly difficult to drop :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.