College provided software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GUILTIE, Aug 3, 2011.

1. GUILTIE macrumors regular

The University I'll be attending next year (Virginia Tech-go Hokies!) gave me a CD that contains Norton Anti Virus software. I've never used any anti-virus software on my mac, but since I'm getting it for free it may make sense to install it... I just don't want it slowing down my Macbook (and it always seemed to on PC's a few years ago). Should I install Norton?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless they absolutely 100% require it I'd say no. It will have a performance impact.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. You don't need antivirus to keep your Mac free from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I would not, as Norton is a pig at resources. Others may have different opinions. Also, Macs don't get virus's so just be safe and careful what you open and where you go.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I wouldnt use norton if someone paid me, damn program is a virus itself...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, however the college is attending may require that all computers (PCs and Macs) have installed an antivirus app.

The OP should reach out to the college in the course of time to verify the requirements.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the college requires AV, ClamXav is a better choice, as it won't be such a performance hit.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument there, I agree. Norton is a pig and sucks the life out of your computer.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Hey VT, ill see you Sept 10th in Dowdy Fick!

10. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

I would say, don't use norton. i am sure theres heaps of reasons not to use it, like some of the above mentioned, but quiet simply stay away from norton. If you do want an antivirus for mac go for sophos AV which is free or virusbarrier (it cost $$) personally i don't like clamxav but it is also free if you want to try it.

people say you don't need an antivirus for mac. but i say if you buy a million dollar watch would you through it at the ground continuously because it is meant to be unbreakable? of coarse not. you will feel much safer if you get a free one and run it and it comes up with no viruses. in this case i would recommend clamxav or sophos av which are both free.

niether of them slow down your mac anywhere near as much as norton does.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sophos is not recommended as it can increase your Mac's vulnerability.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I disagree. It's one of those "how would you like to slow down your computer for no apparent reason" things. Avoid Norton like a plague; it is the worst AV program to get, for both Mac OS AND Windows.
    If the university requires you to install an AV program, i'd go for a virus scan (that doesn't run in the background) such as ClamXav or VirusBarrier.

13. RobertsonCrusoe macrumors member

oh, i just read a post on that. then if you don't mind paying i still recommend virus barrier.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sweet goodness do NOT install anything Norton/Symantec if you care at all about your system.

Not only do those products find NOTHING (seriously they don't, if they did I'd have a lot less drudge work to do at work), but they will also slow your system to a crawl (not sure on a Mac, but on a PC it will).

Plus you don't need AV on a Mac.

Oh, and just an idea on how bad Norton/Symantec products are, take a look here:

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US

Don't let the first line fool you, you HAVE to use Symnrt if you want to fully uninstall Norton/Symantec products. The uninstaller won't fully do it.

15. blipmusic macrumors regular

I always find it ironic that software that we are adviced to install as a gate to prevent malware and viruses from clogging up our systems, is itself a system clogger.

Terrorism or viruses, it all basically leads to the same scenario: creating a paranoid system that becomes so rigid and clogged with precautionary measures that its characteristics [to the end user/citizen] is not unlike the very thing we're trying to stop. In either case, one dedicated person is all it takes. [Ninja-EDIT: Sorry, just a somewhat off analogy, not meant as any kind of political statement at all.]

I know some universities advice Mac users to install anti-virus applications to prevent Windows viruses from being forwarded to Windows computers via e-mail, though if you receive a mail that doesn't mention that tasty looking - wait, I meant suspicious - attachment, do not open it and do not automatically forward the mail.

Frankly, the best anti-virus software is in your head. Use caution and sense ("common" ... what?). On a hilarous note, even those pirating software keep an eye out nowadays and screams from the top of their lungs in some comment thread that their pirated, "free" software is virus infested. Still, it's an ironic feedback system.