College Security Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skibumofvt, Jun 28, 2008.

1. skibumofvt macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I am attending the University of Utah this fall and living on campus in a dorm-room. What do you guys recommend for security? should I get some kind of insurance for theft and accidents? software if stolen?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your parents' homeowner's insurance may very well cover you at college. Heck, my school is taking me to Ireland for my first semester freshman year and I'm still covered.

Keep a copy of your software keys somewhere safe. If any of your software gets stolen, contact the company and see if they'll give you another copy. If not, I'll PM you with my idea.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It's a sorry world when even U of Utah students are paranoid about theft.

Physically, Kensington locks are good for the casual "pick-up," there are some screamer utilities tied to the Sudden Motion Sensor, there's both Undercover & Lo-Jack for Macs.

For data security and loss, keep a regular TM or clone of the Mac locked away. Most password protection schemes are fairly useless on a Uni campus, as the thief will likely have the means to crack that quickly, anyway. You could use TrueCrypt if you're truly paranoid.

And, as has been mentioned, verify the limits of insurance coverage, including what they consider to be "reasonable" precautions against theft. Some companies may deny claims if you tell them you "just walked out of the room for a minute" if they're so inclined based on the kind of policy.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My floor had a open door policy and no one lost anything.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

A better recommendation might be able to be made if we knew what kind of computer you had.

6. skibumofvt thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 15" Mac Book Pro that I bought recently

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Kensington locks are the best. Definitely get one.

Get UnderCover, too. $50 dollars for a 98% recovery rate and a theoretically foolproof software recovery system.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get insurance especially if you are off campus, leave your room locked when you aren't in the flat, and when in the library take it to the toilet or whatever or leave it with a friend.

9. skibumofvt thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard of these locks not working very well, and when someone really wants your computer they can get it even if its locked up

10. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

1. I would get some kind of insurance.
    2. I would encrypt my confidential data in a read/write disk image and not save the password in Keychain.
    3. I would change my Keychain password so that it does not unlock automatically when I login. Someone having access to you Keychain can see your saved passwords.