College Student, about to buy a new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DominusNovus, Aug 7, 2007.

1. DominusNovus macrumors member

Pretty self-explanatory title. I'm in college, have had a 1.6Ghz PowerMac G5 for just under 4 years now. Gotten some good years out of it, but its time to get something new. And, I really don't need a Mac Pro. The only reason I'd want one is for gaming, and I'm not much of a gamer anymore (and what I do play is primarily strategy games, not exactly graphics-hogs).

So, I'm gonna go for an iMac. Probably the 2.8Ghz 24-inch. Figured I'd get some advice from you guys before taking the plunge. I'm a business student, so I won't really need any of the fancy stuff (might spring for iWork).

Primarily, how should I customize it?
    I know the Memory upgrades are horrendously expensive through Apple, and easy to install yourself, so I'll probably stay standard there. Any particular suggestions for where to purchase the memory, should I decide to upgrade?
    How 'bout the Hard Drive? I doubt I'll need a Terabyte of space, though it'd be cool to have.
    And, how about... oh wait, thats really it for customization now. I definitely going for the full keyboard, don't really need the wireless one anyway. Might get iWork, definitely don't need any of the other software. Don't need .Mac, don't need a modem.
    I'm on the fence about Apple Care. I've *never* had problems with my desktops, but this'll be the first time I get one thats just recently released, so I'm not so certain.

Other than that, what do people think I could get for my 1.6Ghz PowerMac G5? Macofalltrades estimates $425, which doesn't sound too bad, though I probably could get a little better on ebay, I think. Add in the monitor I have (Planar, think its 17"), and I might be able to squeeze out another $100 maybe?

So, whats the advice?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

A good place to get memory is frys, you can get really good deals there. I'd stick with the stock internal hard drive and if you ever need more space get an external hard drive and store some of your stuff on the external hard drive. I would buy AppleCare though, it's three years of knowing that if anything goes wrong then you're covered.

3. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I would say, wait until you have a month or so of the 1 year standard warranty left, if your iMac has worked perfectly until then, with no uses of the warranty, don't worry about applecare, if it has had any problems, buy it for sure... even if the problem was something small, and even if the problem wasn't covered by warranty, because one thing can lead to the next