College Student, Buy MBP now or wait for new

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kevinski25, Jul 15, 2008.

1. kevinski25 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So I am going off to college August 16th, and I am getting a MBP. My question is, do you think I should wait until the next revision (Centrino 2, New Case Design), or just go ahead and get it now.

I think I can wait, but the only problem with waiting is the iPod touch deal which expires mid-September...

What do you guys think?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Reiteration number 21,537:

If you need it now, buy it now. If you can wait, do. It's already better than what you need.

3. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

motion to pass new rule, if you can't read other posts you should be kicked off MR. Just look at any other thread in this subforum, you'll see a million people asking the same question with the same answer.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

hey grayhair :D

thats what you say to everyone lol

5. pointycollars macrumors regular

There probably isn't going to be much of a noticeable performance boost when they issue the new MBP's, so if you need it and want to take advantage of the back-to-school ipod deal, definitely buy now.

6. kevinski25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, the main thing thats holding me back I guess would be the rumored new case design. Do you think it would be worth it or no?

And to the other guys, I'm sorry if I offended or bothered you in any way, I am just looking for some help/advice.

7. record guy macrumors newbie

Coming from a guy buying a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro, I don't think you have any justification for telling someone they don't need something. Besides, he only said he needs it for college, he may need it for other things as well, things he didn't mention.

8. pointycollars macrumors regular

Some people have been holding out on a new case design for years, since we've essentially been looking at the same design since 2003. Who knows when it'll happen :)

So, given that, it'd depend on what you wanted more - a free iPod touch, or the latest case design. I'd go for the free touch.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your prejudgement of my need for my future computers is unnecessary, thank you. He should have mentioned them, then.

No offense meant to you, kevinski. My first post needs to be a banner on the Buying forum in bold 96 point font.

10. record guy macrumors newbie

Point being, your needs were doubted in another thread before you explained them. The fact is, for the most part, our needs would be met by much less powerful computers. However, our egos and our wants often exceed our needs...not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that...sometimes. We want speed, so we get more power. What's wrong with waiting a little, or not running so many programs simultaneously?

Wants and needs are two separate things.

11. kevinski25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Having to choose between the free touch and the case, I'd have to go with the touch. Looks like thats my answer :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone!

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mine just happen to be pretty close.

Again, whatever little power I don't use is future-proofing. I'm not buying another computer halfway through school.

13. record guy macrumors newbie

That's a good call. I do the same thing, future-proofing is the way to go for those with foresight and some amount of intelligence.

Additionally, I wasn't insulting you earlier, I just found it ironic that you would question someone's needs when your own had been in question. Unfortunately, text has little means of conveying tone at times.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I understand. No hard feelings. I remember reading that 70% of what you type is misread, but since I was reading that, I may have misread it. :rolleyes:

You're right. I was 100% sure of what I was going to get until about two weeks ago... *sad little kid* but... but I've been waiting for my Mac Pro for twelve years! *sad little kid* I'll probably still go with that combo, though...