College Student needing help choosing new Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Collegiate07, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Collegiate07 macrumors newbie

This is my first time posting, so Hey Everyone….

I am new to the Mac world, meaning I have always owned a windows pc and have been getting tired of the problems. I am a full time student and currently not working, in search of job, and only income is from Financial Aid and Student Loans. I am looking for a new computer, not pc but Mac, preferably one that is portable because I go to school and take the computer with me. I am an occasional gamer; usually play Guild Wars, The Sims 2, and would like to be able to play Spore and possibly the new Sims 3 when it comes out (I know the specs have not come out for Sims 3 yet). I will be using Vista or XP in boot camp but not very often.

I am looking at the new Macbook, Macbook Pro, or thought about a new iMac and keeping the pc laptop that I use now. It will be used for some, not much gaming (in free time), and mostly for college work. Web surfing, word, PowerPoint/keynote, I would like to do some (not too professional) film and photography using the iLife features. If I get a macbook/pro , I do plan to get a display at some point. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I should get.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get a job first. It's dirt easy in college since there are plenty of campus jobs. Then you can think about getting your Mac.

3. Catonow macrumors regular

Get the Aluminum MB (and make sure to get the student discount). It's got more than enough power for all you do. And it's cheaper than an MBP, which is probably overkill for your needs. Or you might look at refurbished models, they can be a good deal.

4. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Check your student union if they have a bulletin board where people post stuff for sale or check the campus newspapers for stuff for sale.

5. pendo macrumors regular

same situation here. (but I am working @ 15 hrs/wk)

I plan on ordering an entry level MB next week. It is stretching my budget a little, but I figure it will last for at least 2, hopefully 3 years.

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

or he could just use facebook marketplace or craigslist. lol sutdent union... is this the 90's...

7. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

refurb MacBook (prev gen)

You don't NEED the new one - even check craigslist (beware of scams yadda yadda)

8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend getting a 2.0GHz Al MacBook with your student discount.

9. munnstermac macrumors newbie

If you cant afford it you cant have it my friend, its all part of the student experience :p. If you want it bad enough its time to get yourself a job, and not wanting to sound all high and mighty but I work 30 hours a week to be able to get through university and knowing that when I get my degree that I worked hard for it I will have no issue spending bucket loads of money on the latest and greatest because I suffered for it. :)

10. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Perhaps you should just answer the question in future. Nobody values that kind of input.

And munnstermac, where did he say he couldn't afford it? Perhaps you misread the post. If he's looking for a portable computer, obviously he feels he can afford it with the student aid he's receiving.

Not that the above is anybodies business but the OPs own. Shame on some of you for being so quick to pass judgement with your words, rather than answer the question posed.

OP, the macbook is probably the mac you'll be looking at if you're going portable. It should be fine for your needs.

Good luck.

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Er why its the best piece of advice in the whole thread

12. munnstermac macrumors newbie

"only income is from Financial Aid and Student Loans" I kind of took from this that maybe he couldn't afford it. If I am wrong I apologize but spending your student loans on a computer is foolish. When the bailiff comes knocking for rent or bill money then I pretty sure you will be wishing the macbook was back in the shop. Again its only my opinion so correct me if I am wrong. :)

13. BayouBengal macrumors regular

It is pretty common to use student loan money for a computer purchase as many times the computer is necessary for the student. Granted that most of the time it's usually just a $500 or $600 HP or Dell.

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I've been quoted twice so I re-edited my first line back to what it was previously, to match what was quoted, in case anybody is wondering.

munnstermac - thank you for the considered response, rather than being quick in becoming defensive, as some are.

He could be living at home, or being helped by parents. I don't receive money from mine, but sure as **** they save me hundreds every month in purchases I'd otherwise have to make.

I receive a student loan, and only work once a week (till the snow season starts) but a computer is virtually essential for many courses, and it's very possible to afford one if you're not out every other night on the drink like many students I know :)

15. Collegiate07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help.
    I do not rely on student loans that much, i only use them if i have to which recently it has only been about $500 a semester (mostly for gas money and food). I would get a job on campus but I do not want to travel 40 miles, on way, to school on days that I do not go for classes. I have also been saving up money for a new computer.

I am think i might go the the Macbook, but I heard somewhere that there is a conference coming up and that I should wait until after the conference to buy...

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd try to schedule work when you're on campus and stay on campus as long as you can. Finding something close to home is great too.

A Macbook is a good option right now since they were just recently updated. Don't expect to do much gaming on it though. It's still integrated graphics but the Sims 2 and Spore will be fine. The system requirements for Sims 3 haven't been revealed but I expect you'll need a lot more power then what the MacBook IGP can provide.