College student needs help choosing!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omgitsmikexd, Jul 11, 2011.

1. omgitsmikexd macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm having problems choosing between the MBP 13 inch models, so I need a little help. I'm going to be a college freshman starting in September, and I'll be a Biology major (pre-med). I'll be using it mostly for web browsing, Microsoft Office stuff (notes, papers, projects, etc), iTunes, Solitaire, and (very) occasionally editing pictures with Photoshop

Assuming I've ruled out the MBA, I have come up with these three options:

1) MBP 2.3ghz i5, with an SSD

2) MBP 2.3ghz i5, plus an iPad

3) MBP 2.7ghz i7

Any advice/hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

May 29, 2011
    i don't see any reason you would need the i7... as far as the other 2 choices go, i don't have an ipad, so i couldn't comment on its usefulness in college
  3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2007
    Agreed, you don't need an i5 processor.

The other two options is really just based on what you want.
  4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

Jan 13, 2008
    I got an iPad for college. Although I am a desktop guy I needed something mobile as well (and hey I guess I just wanted an iPad.;)). I don't see a need for both a Notebook and an iPad for just college stuff. You would already have something mobile with a laptop. Why do you even want/need a Pro model? The white one could save you some money.
  5. omgitsmikexd thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2011
    I think the MBP looks better, and I like that it has the backlit keyboard for typing in dark classrooms. I've never had an SSD, so are they really as blazing fast as everyone says they are?

Thanks everyone...Any more suggestions/opinions =]]]?
  6. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

May 29, 2011
    Theyre very fast, even in general computing, everything is just snappy. Considering the price of an ipad, could you get an ipod touch with an ssd? i find my ipod covers the majority of my tech needs during the day
  7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

May 13, 2010
    MBPs are certainly better than MBA is every way except the weight.

MBA is for people who are traveling so much.

I have 11 inch MBA, iPad 2 and 15 inch MBP.
  8. omgitsmikexd thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2011

Ok thanks, so snappier than normal, but not a huge difference? Because pretty much all macs seem pretty snappy to me! I already have an iphone4, so i probably wouldn't need the itouch, but thats a good suggestion. I'm not even sure if i really need the ipad, its more of the "coolness" factor and just plain wanting one lol

Just out of curiosity, in what ways are the MBPs better in your opinion?
  9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2011
    ive using the ssame stuff u are, except solitaire, i fail with playing cards LOL

ibought the 15inch macbook pro 2011. its is BEYOND what i need but i just wanted a powerful bigger computer XD

for ur needs, the base model pluss SSD will be perfect.

u dont need an ipad in college, espcially since u have a macbook pro already. everything u can do on the ipad u can doon hte macbook so save ur money there.