College student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codyiverson, Jun 30, 2012.

1. codyiverson macrumors newbie

Hello first time poster, long time reader.

I have a debate going at the moment. Right now, i have the new ipad. I just graduated and i have 1800$ to spend on a computer for school.

I've been debating between 2 different set ups.

The 13" macbook air (i5/128ssd/8gb) and a wireless apple mouse and keyboard. I would hook up the macbook air to my 27" hdtv i already have to type long papers and do research that would require a bigger screen.

Or should i just take my ipad to class with a wireless keyboard and get an imac for my dorm room?

My main computer uses are word, safari with a lot of tabs open, Itunes always running (only have about 10 gb of music), a few games like diablo 3 or world of warcraft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

2. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

If you don't need crazy power, I would almost invariably go with the laptop for college. Last year, I had a test that the professor required me to bring a laptop to class for, and you couldn't use an iPad because the thing I needed to use was in Flash.

The only hesitation I would have now is if games are really important to you. If so, go with the iMac. If not, the Air. If you could spend a few hundred more and it's not too large for your needs, I would say go with the 15 inch MBP because it's both portable and has discrete graphics.

3. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Since you already have an ipad, i would recommend something beefier and more versatile like the 13 macbook pro. Its upgradeable will serve you nicely during college. Its upgradeability should allow the device to serve you a good 4-5 years.

4. omvs macrumors 6502

The integrated graphics on the Air are much weaker than iMac. WoW and D3 will be run on the Air, but they're not going to look nearly as good.

But the air is probably a lot more practical. Unless you're a pixel junkie like me and much more productive with the high res screens, that's what I'd recommend. Too bad nobody has an affordable TB GPU solution yet....

OTOH, What about the 15" pro (non-retina)? Discrete GPU & bigger display... Sure, its a big more of a hassle to carry than an air, but not that much bigger. The retina version would actually be my choice, but its out of your budget....

Have you considered getting a refurb rather than new? Probably won't have refurbed retina's in time, but you might be able to shave off some money no matter what you choose. I've owned 2 refurb'ed 17" macbook pros myself, have colleagues with other variants, and we've all been very happy. Warranty is the same, and I think you can get applecare if want....