College Students - anyway I can download office

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

So I am about to start college, I went by my College's bookstore and they have Office 2011 University edition. My question is, they said it is on a Disc and I use the rMBP so I don't have a disk drive. Is there anyway I can download it instead?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Google brought this up:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/office-university

I'll eat my hat if they don't have it as a digital download.

3. Birdmagnus macrumors member

Yes, you can go to Microsoft website and download the trial version here http://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

Once you have it download, you can just use your activation key from the CD to change it from being a trial version. I did the same thing on my rMBP.

4. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Ok. Is it true that I can only use it on 1 computer? I have an iMac also.

5. Birdmagnus macrumors member

"Microsoft Office for Mac University 2011 is licensed for one eligible user on one primary and one portable Mac."

This is a quote directly from the Office 2011 CD box. So I think it would also work on your iMac, but I can't be 100% sure since I don't own one.

6. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Have you checked to see if you get Office for free through your University before you purchase it from the bookstore?

7. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I haven't. I didn't see why they'd give it away if they sell it.

----------

Eh, if the rare case occurs where I need to burn something, I could always just transfer to file to my iMac and burn it that way. :p

8. Engali macrumors member

You should try. I know my grad school both offers MS Office Pro for free and sells it and other versions of office. I think it's because not everyone within the university qualifies, but I did as a student.

Ask your university's IT department.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So get a $79 Apple Superdrive for your rMBP. You can likely get one with cheaper with an ed discount.

I got one to share between my machine and my wife's machine. You need the drive to read application CD/DVDs and also if you want to import a music CD or rip a CD/DVD to give to someone else.

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

MS and schools all over have partnerships to provide free software. definitely check into it. when i was in school i got tons of free versions of windows 7 keys, MS office, visio, etc etc.

11. Engali macrumors member

Yah, if they do provide free software the you can circumvent this whole DL vs disc issue. When I brought my rMBP in they put S Ffice Pro on from a USB drive. Done deal.

12. stuaz macrumors 6502

He wasn't referring to you needing it for burning, but you could use an external dvd drive to read the disks. Although as you have an iMac you could use that...

I have one for my rMBP and it comes in use sometimes - like when I want to play older games where I have a cd copy of it.

13. medulla macrumors regular

The Office University is $99 for download only and if you want a backup disk its $15 more if I'm not mistaken. Its only for 1 user with 1 registration code, if you want one for more users you'd have to get the Home & Student which is $150 for 3 users.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you have an imac, you can always rip the disc and transfer the image to your rMBP. Assuming you can't get a digital download in the first place.

15. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

To make money.

I had access to all sorts of free software while I was a student. In the agreement to prior to downloading, you agree to uninstall all software when you are no longer a student.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd be surprised, at my university I can get a plethora of microsoft completely free of charge, with no agreement to uninstall it when I'm no longer a student.

My copy of windows 7 enterprise edition 64-bit was completely free and legal. I also have access to such things as Visual Studio's complete suite. Office is not free but has quite the rebate IIRC.

17. defektion macrumors regular

I bought my copy of Office 2011 for Mac for $11.00

http://www.microsofthup.com/

You just need to find someone with a valid email to purchase from there but it's only 1 copy for that email.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use the optical drive in your IMac remotely.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287