College Students: Are you getting a current gen MBP or a Nehalem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kockgunner, Jun 7, 2008.

?

College Students: Current gen MBP or Nehalem?

  1. I am getting one now/after WWDC

    20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. I'll get one near the beginning of the school and see what happens

    10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Nehalem all the way!

    8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. If a MBP doesn't come out soon, I'll get the more current MB Air

    4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. kockgunner macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #1
    I, like many other people on this forum, am going to college/university this year. So, I wanna know if you guys are going to buy a current generation Macbook Pro and take advantage of the free iPod touch and printer deal, or are you going to be going to school with a pencil and notepad for the first few months and wait for Nehalem?
     
  2. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #2
    Well considering I bought my computer in February, I won't be getting a new computer until Nehalem or later.

    Also the current MBP is a Santa Rosa + Peryn; so unless you're not telling us something, your question should read, SR, Montevina, or Nehalem
     
  3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Location:
    Memphis, TN
    #3
    I already have one. But I just bought if a couple of months ago. So, consider me one of those "going to buy" voters.
     
  4. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #4
    i should've gotten the penryn back in february so i wouldn't feel as bad when the new ones come out. but now, it's only a few more months 'till new macbook pros but i really need one now. ahhh!!
     
  5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

    rockthecasbah

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Moorestown, NJ
    #5
    I'm waiting for WWDC but nothing is likely to happen. I'm still debating between a BlackBook or a baseline MBP, but am heavily leaning MBP now... I'll test them both out in store and see which I'd like for school. I think waiting for a release is going to be pointless. I want to get a new model as much as the rest of us, but honestly until the BTS promo is over, it seems very unlikely that anything new is released. Plus, both models are more than enough power for me, so I'm not worried.

    That in mind, I want to take advantage of the promo and sell the Touch to recoup some of the money I dropped buying the computer to begin with :p
     
  6. garyoke macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2007
    #6
    ** Flashback: 2007**

    Funny.

    My son had the same problem a year ago. He decided to take advantage of the free iPod offer, and has never regretted it.

    Loves his MPB.

    L-O-V-E-S I-T !

    My suggestion is wait as long as you can under the current free iPod offer, then go for it.

    I, on the other hand, am determined to wait to replace my aging Pbook 1.33 until the new MBP is released - be it 6/9, 8/9 or 11/9,

    Hell - I've waited this long, wasting time reading what everybody thinks will or won't happen at WWDC, or the next month, or the month after that, or next year.....
     
  7. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #7
    I'm seeing what happens tomorrow, I bet they'll not mention the MBP, but I'll put my order in regardless on Tuesday :D
     
  8. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    #8
    I'll probably be buying my MBP in the fall/winter, so I'll get whatever is out at the time. I most likely won't wait for Nehalem...the exception would be if it was supposed to be right around the corner (a few weeks away or less) come buying time, in which case I'd wait the few weeks. Otherwise, I'll just buy whatever is out, likely a Montevina MBP by the time I buy.
     
  9. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #9
    i'm kinda bummed because i've been waiting for a new macbook pro redesign for over a year and yet, i have to get one a few months before nehalem comes out which is a major jump. but i'm with rockthecasbah, i'm tired of waiting and i'll just get the current one and be happy with it. the specs are more than enough for what i do (surf the net, organize photos, word process). and since i have an ipod touch already, i'll try to sell the free one (to a random friend since i don't have ebay, craigslist, etc experience) and buy apple care with the money or something.
     
  10. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Location:
    Kenya
    #10
  11. kockgunner thread starter macrumors 68000

    kockgunner

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Location:
    Vancouver, Canada
    #11
    apple seems to have a good relationship with intel so they might get it earlier?
     

Share This Page