College students - get family pack?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by keyz, Oct 7, 2007.

1. keyz macrumors member

I'm a college student and there are five of us on campus who all have Macs and want to upgrade to Leopard. The idea came up to just get a family pack and then use that between the five of our computers. I'm wondering if there are any complications or problems in doing this. Is this possible to do with no problems? Because, technically, we're not in the same household, but then I read this:

Any thoughts regarding this?

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

i would say thats the best (legal) way to go about it. There will be no complications you are allowed to do so.

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

What that licensing blurb is meant to cover is students living on-campus and away from their family's household. The important clause here is "who are primary residents of that household, which students other than yourself (unless they were living in the same room as you) would not be. So, no, technically this situation wouldn't be covered under the Family Pack agreement. Now I'm not telling you not to do it since that seems like a good idea to get everyone upgraded and the technicalities of the license are gray (and definitely open to misinterpretation), but that is what the license says.

4. 119576 Guest

I interpreted it as:

If;
    You live at your family's house when not at University/College.
    You live in halls/dorms/whatever when at University/College;

Then you are allowed to install it under the same package as your family household.

But it's definately vague.

5. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

Same. I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. You'll be fine.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Top marks to you for trying to find the best way to do this legally. I would say you are fine with sharing a family pack. As others have pointed out, its a bit of a gray area.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see how one can interpret that to mean that students can take advantage of a family pack. You might as well just buy one single user copy and install it on all. :rolleyes:

8. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Doesn't seem in the slightest bit grey to me. It is for families not any ad hoc groups.

9. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

The license agreement says that the legal use of a family pack extends to members of said family that are students living away from home. After reading it more carefully, I think you may be better off buying separate copies (assuming you take the legal route).

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

A few of my friends and I are going for the family pack option :)