Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vchalupa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I've been looking forward to getting a new MBP since the new Penryn update and it will be my first Mac. I was set on getting the MBP this summer so that I can have it for college but now it has come to my attention that college theft is getting to be an issue. I'm worried that taking such an expensive laptop to a college campus would target it to getting stolen. For this reason, should I get a MB instead?

I'm eager to use all the MBP features but I would much rather deal with the MB and not have it stolen than get a MBP and get it stolen.

Have any of you had or see Macs get stolen on college campuses? I'm worried especially because Macs are the most stolen type of computer on college campus' throughout the country. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks to everyone in advance

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
If you worry about stuff getting stolen, then you'll never buy anything. Even if theft is a "problem." How much stuff is being stolen compared to the whole student body? Also, what are the circumstances for these thefts? People leave their laptop unattended and it gets stolen or are they being mugged? The only way your laptop will get stolen is if you let it. If you're that worried, then you might want to consider insurance.

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
if it's meant to be stolen.. it will be stolen.
no matter what.
buy what you like, be smart and don't leave it where it' s going to invite "attention"

or buy a refurbished MBP.
so just in case someone take it, it won't hurt that much

JoshLV

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Las Vegas
Any laptop is likely to be stolen. As long as you make smart choices, it shouldn't really matter. Go for MBP.

vchalupa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I agree with the making smart decisions but everyone lets their guard down at some point or other. So I was just wondering if there was any truth to the "rumors" that I heard. But you're all right, it's a matter of being responsible.

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any stories or experiences with Mac theft, please post! I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced this by any chance.

vchalupa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I know a guy that had 2 mbp's stolen both were locked to a desk.

Wow, and your location says MA. May I ask where this happened? I'm going to college in MA next year too, so this worries me a little bit!

verity

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Any laptop is likely to be stolen. As long as you make smart choices, it shouldn't really matter. Go for MBP.
I agree. There's always so many MBPs around in the library anyway, you need to be careful to walk out with your own and not your friend's :) Seriously, whatever laptop you get you'll have to keep an eye on it. And having an external drive in your dorm room for Time Machine backups is a must. Then just hope they don't both develop legs at the same time.

I have friends both loving and regretting going with an MB and not MBP so it's hard to say. I got my MBP and couldn't be happier.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
I've been looking forward to getting a new MBP since the new Penryn update and it will be my first Mac. I was set on getting the MBP this summer so that I can have it for college but now it has come to my attention that college theft is getting to be an issue. I'm worried that taking such an expensive laptop to a college campus would target it to getting stolen. For this reason, should I get a MB instead?

I'm eager to use all the MBP features but I would much rather deal with the MB and not have it stolen than get a MBP and get it stolen.

Have any of you had or see Macs get stolen on college campuses? I'm worried especially because Macs are the most stolen type of computer on college campus' throughout the country. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks to everyone in advance

It depends on what you are using it for. If your needs do not really require discrete graphics...then the MB will work fine. The MB is also slightly smaller and less weight.

vchalupa

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
It depends on what you are using it for. If your needs do not really require discrete graphics...then the MB will work fine. The MB is also slightly smaller and less weight.

Ya I understand the differences between the MB and the MBP and I feel like I will need the discrete graphics. But I'm not sure if the idea of college theft should sway my decision into something cheaper for the sake of not feeling as bad if it does get stolen by chance.

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Ya I understand the differences between the MB and the MBP and I feel like I will need the discrete graphics. But I'm not sure if the idea of college theft should sway my decision into something cheaper for the sake of not feeling as bad if it does get stolen by chance.

few words of advice from a 5th year University student who spent 2 years in the dorm and the rest in college apartments
1. Build a good relationship with the people around you.
2. Never ever leave your door open or unlock. If your notebook is sitting there in the open then you're just asking for it.
3. if you have the money for it, buy lojack

I've seen some cases of stolen laptop..and most of them are because people just left the laptop on their desk with the door open and went to class..only to go back to their room and the laptop was gone. Though you can trust your roommate and friends, but its a dorm so there bound to be strangers walking around. Keep your laptop with you all the time, and when you're not around it..lock it down and/or lock the room. We can tell you hundreds of stories about it..but its only by chance/bad luck that it'll happen to you (considering that you're a careful guy). So you shouldn't let the fear of it being stolen stopping you from buying your "dream machine".

hope that helps.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.