College students, how do you carry your laptop to class?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Hey guys, Monday is my first day of college and I'll be taking my MacBook to class. I have a 15" rMBP. My question is, how do you carry your laptop to class?

My backpack has a spot to put a laptop in but will it get damaged from the weight of the books/binders/etc? I have a shell on the computer.

2. bushido, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013

bushido Suspended

bushido

i have a rMBP 13 inch and simply use one of those

[​IMG]

and throw it in my backpack, worked out just fine for 2 years on my old mbp

3. lightz39 macrumors regular

I brought mine in my back pack. It should be fine in there. I didn't use my text books ever in my course (multimedia production).

4. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Think that's needed with a hardshell case already on it?

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Cant hurt if anything it will allow for more cushion.

6. bushido Suspended

bushido

no hardshell for me. i hate cases with a passion i literally tried 10 cases on my iPhone for example and always ended up taking them off after a day.

its a laptop, its means to be used. i dont plan on dropping it so a simple sleeve is enough for me when i leave the house with it

7. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I have mine in a Joli Original sleeve, then place it in my Booq mamba courier bag. I have everything i need in the bag, usb's, external hdd, notes, pads, pens, mechanical pencils, rubbers, rulers, calculator. Well everything a student needs.

Attached Files:

8. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I put my 15" rMBP in an Incase neoprene sleeve and then throw it into a Jeep backpack that has a proper place for it. I feel it's pretty secure that way next to the books.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

10. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I haven't needed one just yet :p

11. djfmf macrumors member

I have a iPearl case for my regular MBP. As long as the majority of the laptop is covered I'm not too worried. I've only dropped my laptop once without a case, thank goodness it didn't cause a dent and somehow landed like an upsidedown v. That was the sign for me to get a case, to somewhat protect the outside.

12. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I'm in high school; close enough. I have a backpack with a special section for a laptop which is quite padded. I normally place my Mac in there with the school laptop being in the general compartment along with the books.

13. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

I had a north face backpack with a padded sleeve for it. No case. Worked fine for the past 4 years.

14. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I never used a sleeve, just a place for my MacBook. Now I have a messenger bag for my MBA. Just be wise how much you put in your backpack and the pressure or force applied to your computer from other items in the bag. Then I just make sure when I set my backpack down it's either upright or laying so where the straps are faced up so no pressure is applied to my computer. Just be mindful. ;) (It's not just a toy, it's a tool.)

15. Eddyquan macrumors newbie

I bought this case/sleeve when I first got my MacBook Pro 13' early last year for uni.

[​IMG]

I usually chuck the sleeve inside of my backpack when I use it. For some time I also used the sleeve in conjunction with my STM Velo. Was a little overkill though.

16. DayVe3000 macrumors member

Im not a student, but recently travelled to India with my old 15-inch MBP.

Bought a JanSport Beamer backpack, even with it full to the brim with everything - My MBP was still looked after superbly.

17. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I bought a book bag that has a dedicated spot for a laptop.

18. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Where did you order your Joli sleeve ? Direct or thru a vendor??

19. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

You order directly through Joli.

Here's the link to their site.
    http://shop.jolioriginals.com

20. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Im using a Speck shell along with one of these.
    [​IMG]

21. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

If I'm carrying my Pro I just put it in my bag, but then I don't carry books or anything to college with me. Here in Ireland students don't bring textbooks to lectures. If I'm carrying my Air I put it in a sleeve and then put it in my bag.

22. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Northface backpack and making sure I don't slam my backpack on the ground. I don't do hardshells, not worth the heat and scratches.

23. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

We do however get enough notes to essentially have textbooks. Or maybe that's just my course.

Here's just some of the printed notes I've gotten from lecturers for the first semester. The rest is on blackboard or hand written.

I also have some books that are "recommended" reading.

Attached Files:

24. Krauser macrumors regular

I've been throwing my 13" into an incase neoprene sleeve for the last 4 or 5 years, 3 of which I've been at college. I go to Rutgers so I walk around a lot and often have many books and my laptop in my backpack at the same time and I've never had an issue.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Speck hardcase and sleeve case are better. That is why I have both in my AE messenger bag. :apple: