College students, which backpack?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Haqq, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Haqq macrumors member

Hey.

Just purchased my first MACBOOK. I am currently a college student and I need a backpack... not just any backpack one that has a slot for my macbook and and books.

Got any suggestions? Thanks!

2. elpenguino macrumors member

I know several people who really like their incase backpacks. To me they look pretty sturdy. I know you can get them on the Apple site, but you probably could pick one up cheaper on eBay or Craigslist.

3. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

4. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

hey just wondering... are you an incoming freshman or are you a continuing college student? It's just a bit odd because you mentioned books to be carried in your backpack.

5. Haqq thread starter macrumors member

6. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

Oh okay. Welcome to college!!! By the way, just so you know college students don't really bring their textbooks with them because it's not really needed in class (unless specified by the teacher). Most students only bring their pens and notebooks with them in class plus some personal materials like phone and wallet. If you are taking notes with your macbook instead of using pen and paper you might not even need paper notebooks like other students. So, on a regular day in school you might only need to bring your laptop, pens and other personal materials with you. Honestly it not that much and you might find yourself not needing a backpack with lots of compartments.

7. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Agreed. You could be like every other college student and just buy a messenger bag.

8. boiledsoup macrumors newbie

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I have an LL Bean book pack, with an Incase sleeve that slips right in one of the sections and protects my Macbook from being crushed by my 10-lb. Calculus book. I ride my bicycle to school, and trust my sleeve and backpack completely.

10. bstreiff macrumors regular

Former college student, but I still carry around a Targus laptop backpack-- there's a built-in sleeve for a laptop. It is not, however, particularly waterproof, so I have an 'anti-environment bag' constructed from two ziplock bags and duct tape that I used with my old Sony Vaio (and which conveniently is also the right size for the Macbook I carry now).

The only trouble with it, I found, was that there were a lot of other people with the same backpack, which could mean two things:
    * Confusion between your bag and someone else's.
    * Everyone knows you have a laptop backpack... which might contain a laptop.
    Neither became a problem for me.

11. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I <3 L.L. Bean, being from Maine and all

That could be a problem depending on where you go to school, and to how careful you are.

So, protip: Don't be stupid.

12. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i like anything dakine, i have an interval no laptop slot but they do make backpacks with them.

13. Kirjava444 macrumors member

Not necessarily true - I'm currently in my third year of college and my instructors sometimes ask us to use our textbooks during class (with no forewarning beforehand that we will need them). That said, I find that backpacks cause a lot of problems for my neck and back. I just use a regular laptop shoulder bag for my PowerBook and use my arms to carry whichever books I need with me to class.

14. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yeah, they're great. Good quality products that last. :) I live in Cali though, which is as far (on the mainland) from Maine as you can get. ;)

15. iJiten macrumors member

I have The North Face Borealis and I love it.

16. danimal99 macrumors regular

I use a Belkin Sling Bag like this one here:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=375643

The sling design distributes weight really well, and the laptop pouch inside also has this 1/2" thick or so plush cushion that can be removed, or left in to protect your laptop from any other stuff you have in there. My 14" Acer notebook sits snugly in it, and feels very safe and secure.

It has lots of little pockets on the inside for misc. assorted stuff, a couple of pen holders, a special pocket for your ipod with an outlet for your headphones, etc. On the very padded strap on the front, it has a good quick-release connector, and a little zippered pouch for your cellphone. I got it for $39 at Wal Mart.

One other thing I also got for at home, is this Belkin Cushtop thing:
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=381157
    It's flippin' awesome, no more hot laptop in your lap. Looks ridiculous, works like a dream. Also found it at Wal Mart, $20.

17. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

+1

Amazon $29.00 + like $5 for shipping

:apple:

18. ttech10 macrumors 6502

The color probably won't work for you but I have this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0051329518050a.shtml

It holds everything I need, though that's usually just my MacBook (has it's own slot inside) the syllabus for each class, notebook (for the class I don't use the laptop) and a book or two. It's pretty comfortable and can hold a lot of books along with the laptop so you shouldn't have any problems with it. Me and a few friends here have it (or ones like it) and love it.

19. iRebecca27 Suspended

iRebecca27

PLEASE do not put your macbook in a laptop backpack.

The pressure affects the screen, and the sensitive optical drive will caput.

trust me, this happened to my poor Olga [my white macbook- my baby]

use another shoulder-strap bag, like this one
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR031LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MzIwODM0&p=2&s=topSellers
    [i own this one, love it. ehough space for the cords, ipod usb, and fuzzy inside]

if you must get a backpack, here
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR034LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=OTgwOTYx&p=1&s=topSellers

20. Haqq thread starter macrumors member

Woww!! Thanks so much for all the replies, I love this place.

Those are some really niice bags the sling one looks great but I'm more of a shoulder backpack guy :confused:

That Incase one from apple store looks great... is there a pic of this in black?

Or does someone have a place I can get it cheaper.

21. mademan118 macrumors regular

There are plenty of things you can do to prevent this from happening. For instance I use the North Face Surge which has a thick padding between the notebook slot and the book slot, and use the incase slim sleeve (polyurethane based) and have no problems with compression.

22. Haqq thread starter macrumors member

Okay I decided to go with the Inlace one... mainly looks haha but it seems like it has a good reputation... I will post on my thoughts once it arrives.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers, Haqq.

23. jonny5009 macrumors member

jonny5009

I just got the Mamba from www.booqbags.com it is incredibly sweet and durable and if it's lost (and someone is nice enough) it has a tracking number so it can be returned to you.