College work on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Frazer19, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Frazer19 macrumors member

Frazer19

Hi guys I use an oldish Microsoft word on my windows laptop a lot , and I was wondering what apps I can get for editing these documents off my laptop onto my iPad. I was looking at doc2go and pages. But how do I get documents off my and onto my iPad? Through iTunes? P.s getting a wireless keyboard tomoz so preferably what app works well with this too. Thanks ever so much for anyone who helps out.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Go into iTunes with your iPad connected, click on the Apps tab under your iPad then you'll see File Sharing underneath all the apps. Just drag them into the box and they'll appear if you have an app installed capable of reading the Microsoft Word files.

I'd recommend Pages; it's very intuitive and well designed.

3. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I use pages and iwork.com, so when I arrive home and use my MacBook Pro I can access them through iwork.com and at my iPad I can upload them there also.

4. wyneken macrumors regular

My daughter is using Pages on the iPad instead of the college-supplied Dell. I've heard about problems with lost formatting and such, but she's mostly just doing routine papers with no special formatting. It's only a couple of weeks into the school term but it seems to be working so far.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm in high school FYI but I'll put input in anyways...I had to type up a paper today but I got to class late and all the laptops were in use...anyways I asked my laid back English teacher if I could use my iPad with citrix! It worked great I was able to type faster than on a regular keyboard too, especially with a broken hand. Note though, I went through 50megabytes in 35 minutes....luckily I have unlimited data though. Since it was tethered to my verizon phone I let a friend who had a personal laptop connect to. Are school doesn't allow personal devices on there wifi network, not after the SSID and WEP key were leaked.

6. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I do a lot of work in Office 2007 and 2008 for work and school and use Documents to Go along with Dropbox cloud storage to edit my documents. I like Documents to Go because it preserves formatting and I can easily edit Excel and Word documents with it.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I use MobileMe to access my MS Office documents and Quickoffice Connect Mobile Suite to do edits.

8. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Once you install a program such as Pages or Doc2Go, you will have the option to import email attachments into those programs. You simply long tap on the specific attachment, and you will get an option to open in "Filer", "Pages", "Doc2Go", etc.

Other than that, I just use iWork or MobileMe.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

If you use windows don't get pages... it's troublesome really. Also, Docs2Go and QuickOffice just had some emotional meltdown and jacked up their prices... not sure why. I'd wait for them to come down if I were you. Doc2Go is your best bet [esp after the latest update]. Oh I should mention this: imagine the most respectful, kind, helpful, smiling, awesome people to help out.... you will get the exact opposite from the customer support team at Doc2Go.

10. El Jack macrumors newbie

Docs2go is your best bet, and get the Premium if you want support for the 'cloud' (google docs, drop box, etc.) as this will facilitate the exchange between your laptop and iPad. Even on a wifi only iPad using the cloud is great because Docs2go will cache previously downloaded files and update again once you're connected back to the net.

Their recent update also inluded external keyboard support however cant comment on this myself yet. I've tried Pages, Quikoffice, Office2, and out of all contenders prefer Documents to Go.