College yearbook smiles predict likelihood of divorce

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awww, nuts... I hate smiling in photographs. :eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/magazine/ideas/2009/#p-1

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

[​IMG] Still happily married.

[​IMG] Will be working on marriage number 5 by the time she's 40.

Quite the funny article. It's amazing how we can make studies and statistics say pretty much anything we want.

3. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think that's fair (or it belies a fundamental lack of understanding about statistics). The effect they found is there -- whether it means anything useful is another point entirely, but it's still interesting. Statistics is a great tool for understanding human behavior, and honestly, most people who use it for that purpose do not overly abuse it.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How many people actually care about their college yearbook?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never got a yearbook in college.

But in high school I barely smiled in my picture so ...

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I admit that the authors of this study do state that what they have found is a correlation and that there could be any number of reasons for which a divorce is caused. I'm assuming the last comment about people being able to "defy the odds" was said in jest.

I simply don't like how statistics are improperly used by many to support their own pre-existing stance on an issue. The other problem is that many out there do not even understand correlations and incorrectly assume that research and statistics describe or prove cause and effect relationships.

While I don't believe this study was done in order to uncover any real truths behind divorce there are people out there who manipulate data or exaggerate conclusions. You are correct in stating that it's all dependent upon who is conducting the research and the hope is that major studies are conducted in an ethical manner with cautious and realistic application beyond the study itself.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Only one of these famous smilers has NOT been divorced.

3ofthw.jpg

But they are probably high school photos.

8. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

And you're single right?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

:D Happily married for longer than some of you have been alive. But, I've often been encouraged to smile more. :confused:

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The only college yearbooks I have seen are from the 1940s or before. Most people I know who went to college after that went to schools so big the yearbook would be the size of the Chicago phonebook, or at least a PC laptop from the '90s. ;)

My junior college had 8,000 students when I graduated and my university had 7,000 students when I graduated. Where the heck do you put all those pictures assuming, conservatively, that a third of those 8,000 or a fifth of those 7,000 graduate each year? Either yearbook would be gigantic. My high school yearbook had 800 students in it from all four years, and those hardbound yearbooks were heavy, having used glossy paper, so I gave them away to a fellow alum.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You've been married 14 years! Congratulations :).

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

College yearbooks?

I'd love to see an ASU yearbook - all 68,000 students.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes I have, to the same wonderful woman! Thanks.

Next....

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Right here.

Attached Files:

16. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Wouldn't have recognized the first three without TinEye... I don't think that celebrities - hollywood celebrities at that - are an adequate sample when it comes to divorce frequency in general...

17. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Definitely not a scientific sample—but it was quick and easy to find their yearbook photos online. :)

I have strong face recognition software in my brain. Although it's kind of a useless talent. Can't say that it's helped me much in my life.

18. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

As long as this goes along with easily remembering people's names, it should be anything but useless. People love to be remembered & recognized. I wish I had that talent... :eek:

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Unfortunately I'm terrible with names . . . unless I've seen it in writing.

20. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I'll be closely paying attention to the smilers now.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The statistical value of my unsmiling photos reinforces my desire to remain unmarried. Score!

22. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Well duh this is a no brainer..... The Happier an individual is the more likely he or she will be smiling and genuinely so. A single person who is happy on their own accord without seeking happiness from others will be more likely to have more productive relationships and not just in marriage.

Statistics is always so much fun as if you are looking to achieve a Pareto effect you will always find one!! Anyhow I wonder how many colleges actually publish an official yearbook?

23. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure I'm not in my college's yearbook. The only available dates were scheduled around finals week. -__-

But for the most part, I usually do a closed-mouth smile/smirk out of habit. So, I wonder if I'm likely headed for separation instead haha.