Color 1.5 on a 13" mbp?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ericflo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ericflo macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

just wondering: Is there a way to make Apple Color 1.5 run on a 2011 MBP 13"/ 2.7gH i7/ 4gB/ 500gB? I can't find online lit anymore, because all the links point to FCPX.

If not, is there any Color Grading program that would?

Thanks!

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I don't know what your budget is or what software you currently have but Magic Bullet Looks has some nice colour grading controls. That is probably the best value for money program.

Da Vinci Resolve on the other hand is only £600 for the Mac and this offers a similar level of control to Apple's Color.

3. Policar macrumors 6502a

Color's performance is questionable on the intel chipset. Footage plays back in real time to start, but add one set of curves and a single secondary and it's already getting slow.

With multiple secondaries, grain effects, and a beauty pass, it might as well be a slide show. On my 8800GT this was real time. Now? Not even close. The application is clearly very GPU-bound. Render times are okay (and most CPU-bound apps such as Final Cut, After Effects, etc. are usable but frustratingly slower than on the mac pro), but I would not buy a machine with the intel chipset as a Color workstation. In a pinch I would use Color on it (I plan to), but I'll have to be careful when pulling secondaries to make sure there are no weird effects that only show up in motion and will probably render my footage out to see if it's any good rather than rely on real-time playback. So it is useable as a hobbyist, barely, but not as a professional, imo... You lose real time playback so very fast.

da Vinci Resolve is pretty cheap now and should be as good if not better than Color. As for magic bullet, it's a joke. It's a fine application for what it is, but you can't do real color grading on it, not even close. I've used it and multiple instances on the Color Corrector 3 way to do a job fast (and without having to make the pain in the ass round trip), but it's not a real color grading application or anything resembling one. It's also massively GPU-bound, so no way you'd get good results with that and a 13'' macbook pro.