Color accurate monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by geoffreak, Feb 21, 2009.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I will be doing a bit of printing for my business and will be needing a color accurate monitor. Which monitor would be best for color accuracy, while fitting into my budget of about $1000?
    The computer is a Mac Pro and booting into Windows is not wanted.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Did you try searching the forums for "Color accurate monitors/displays"?
    I'm sure you'll get many, many, many hits, cause its been discuss to death. :rolleyes:

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Search for reviews and discussion on the NEC LCD2490WUXi and see if it is what you are looking for.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

EIZO monitors are the only way to go for professionals.

5. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Thanks for the tips. I've heard about how Dell's Ultrasharp series is adjustable for color accuracy, or am I making this up?

6. dimme macrumors 65816

With a monitor calibrator you can calibrate any monitor. The higher end Dells are not a bad choice. Be sure to get the calibrator.

7. geoffreak thread starter macrumors 68020

geoffreak

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

9. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

There's a forum on [H]ard dedicated to displays, and it is a good research site, here. Then there is Anadtech's the LCD thread, which on post 2 has (eventually) some reccomendations for print media monitors.

And a colour calibrator is a must. Though the monitor may be good, out-of-the-box colour is rare to be trusted.

10. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Even getting an Eizo monitor (definitely the way to go for professional color correction), you'll still want to buy a hardware calibrator.

What it does basically is it reads the colors that your monitor displays, and it already knows what the correct colors *should* be, so when it finishes calibration, it loads a corrected profile every time you boot, so that your colors look the way they should.

Probably 99% of monitors have *some* kind of color cast default. My Samsung is just a tinge too yellow...not something you'd notice unless you saw the before/after calibration results.

I use the eye-one (i1) 2 calibrator. I think I got it for around $140-160 online.

-Bryan

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Unless you are on a budget. The Eizo SX2461W is comparable with the NEC LCD2490WUXi, with the NEC perhaps being a better display (The Eizo has terrible input lag (from what I recall), and H-IPS is "better" than S-PVA). Then consider the NEC can be had for under $1,000 on occasion and the Eizo goes for $1,400+ and NEC are a better choice in that price range, same for the larger 1920x1200 and 30" models. I'm sure most people would be happy with either Eizo or NEC, so price is really the deciding factor unless some of the differing features are a deal breaker.

12. PowerPaw macrumors member

The IPS displys tend to work best for photography, the colour/contrast shift can get really annoying on very difficult contrast images. Just moving your head the slighest amount changes everything leaving you clueless about what you have displayed on the screen.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you absolutely want the best get the eizo but if you want the best price/performance buy a 2nd hand 23" acd or 30" (brand new).