Color Accurate Screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by josh8711, Dec 21, 2010.

1. josh8711 macrumors member

I have been doing a bit of research but all the tech talk is a bit confuzzling for me IPS TF etc. I am going to either purchase an iMac or Mac Pro in the near future. My question is - Is the iMac screen good for graphic work (i know it is glossy and the reflections are not a problem for me) or should I consider getting a NEC perfect color screen for the Mac Pro?

2. josh8711 thread starter macrumors member

3. Abbe macrumors newbie

First of all, remember that no screen is clour accurate unless it’s calibrated. For calibration you need to use x-rite products, not pantone huey.
    That said, for graphic design iMac’s diplay should be ok, especially if you have pantone or process color swatchbooks. I don’t know about Nec displays, they have good reputation, but considering color accurancy for graphic work, Nec probably isn’t that much better over iMac’s screen. For best color accurancy one would need an Eizo. But that would be much more useful for a photographer.

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

The reflections are no problem until you work on something with a black or dark background. I'd get a Nec or Eizo. The iMacs glass screen sucks for graphic work in my opinion. I've worked on one for 3 years and would never get one again or recommend it.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

A Patone ColorMunki will do the job very well too. X-rite aren't the be-all and end-all in calibration these days...