Color and Shake 3 Button Mouses

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kkachurak, May 10, 2008.

1. kkachurak macrumors regular

I've noticed that to best interface with both Shake and Color, a three button mouse is recommended.

Which three buttons mouses are y'all using out there and to what degree of success?

Thanks much.

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

I use the regular "Mighty Mouse". The scroll ball can serve as a middle mouse button, and that works very well for me.

- Martin

3. doctorossi macrumors member

I'm a three-button mouse fan, myself, and also use one for Maya (Maya and I both come from a three-button-centric SGI background). Anyway, I use a Logitech Marble Mouse optical trackball and really love it. It's great with my MBP, as I don't need much desk-space to use it and it's big and hefty for smoothness and precision.

4. Sunweaver macrumors newbie

Sunweaver

What ever you do DO NOT get the Logitech MX 1000, dont get me wrong its a great mouse but unless I'm mistaken you cannot use the scroll wheel as a 3rd button...

Well, I haven't goten it to work :(

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i can't seem to get the scroll ball of my mighty mouse to work in Shake - anyone know why? - I scroll and the scroll bars don't move, i have to click and drag.

6. doctorossi macrumors member

I forgot to mention an important feature (for me) of the Marble Mouse trackball: the third (middle) button options are not a scroll-wheel! I've tried using a clickable scroll-wheel as a third button and, for me, it doesn't work very well for high-sensitivity applications; it's too easy to inadvertently move your cursor around (or change some attribute value) by tipping the scroll-wheel when you only intend to click it.

7. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Do you have this button assigned to something else, like to bring up Dashboard? You'll have to change that assignment to "3rd mouse button" in the system prefs before it works with Shake.

- Martin

8. realfx macrumors member

Wacom Tablet. try it learn it love it.

9. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

yeh i've done all that - it's just when i go to "open" i can't scroll down the pop up window, i have to click on the bar to move it. Is that normal?

10. kkachurak thread starter macrumors regular

This ended up being the route I took. Thanks.

I got the Bamboo (which I guess is their consumer version of their standard tablet).

So far, using the pen has been great in Element and Motion. I'll have to look into my preferences to get the third button (scroll wheel) to work in Color and Shake.

11. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

No. You should be able to scroll the contents of the file selection popup window just like any other Shake window: by holding down the middle mouse button and moving the mouse. Just tried it, works fine for me with a mighty mouse.

- Martin

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

ah - hang on.

Holding down the middle button and dragging is different from scrolling. I will try this.

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

:eek:

I should really learn to read the manual more often.

14. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Welcome to Shake's GUI! ;)

- Martin