Color app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by GimmeSlack12, Mar 27, 2011.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Anyone else been playin around with this app? It is way simple and not necessarily clear what the point to it is. But in intrigued, kind of a social experiment if you will. Only problem is getting people to give it a chance. Anyone else trying it out?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've got it but haven't had a chance to use it in a social situation. My thoughts on the interface is that it's too minimalistic and not intuitive enough for most people.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Why does everyone keep talking about Color app? What's so special about it? :confused:

Anyone willing to enlighten me?

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

downloaded, tried, deleted. used it in the building i work in and was greeted by random faces of people who work on other floors in my building. there's no clear way to interact with them, you just stare at their photos, and they at yours.

it's like chat roulette but without the video, sound, or naked men fapping.

5. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think the key point of interest with the app is the lack of logins or profiles. Its just pictures of people near you.

Now, I totally admit that at the moment I am not really "getting" it, or if there ever will be anything to get. But I want to believe that once this app propagates through the masses that a true use or at least interesting perspective will present itself.

If you are one for immediate gratification then I would likely say this app isn't your cup of tea. I tend to be a immediate gratification kind-of-guy when it comes to the apps that I download, but the amount of buzz surrounding "Color" has me sticking around a little longer than normal to see if this quasi-social experiment leads to something.

(Though I won't be surprised if in 2 months this thread has no relevance to anything)

6. comper macrumors member

sorry to disappoint you.

7. deanfx4u macrumors regular

hah

Interesting article about Color from cultofmac here

8. mcdj, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok I read the cult article. Two things popped out at me. One is plausible, the other, not so much.

Plausibly, it could be cool to see photos while standing in a line outside a nightclub, of what's going on (or not going on) inside. If you discover via Color that it's empty inside, you'll know you're part of a hype machine to make the club look bustling, and you can bail. In full disclosure, my nightclub days are pretty much over anyway. But this line of reasoning extends itself to myriad other places where what's inside could be of great interest to those outside.

Parts of Fortune's "trojan horse" article seems less likely. They claim the app will turn into a location based ad server once the user base is big enough, a la facebook. If you're walking your kids in a park, Color could show you an ad for a local toy store near the park. Ok, fair enough, that alone could be their business model. But the article goes on to detail an unlikely scenario…Color detects that you're wearing lots of North Face and serves up an ad for Marmot.

This might be how we get ads in 10 years, but I'm sorry, for now, the software to accurately and repeatedly detect a logo on a jacket in a blurry cell phone pic is not there yet. Any company worth their salt is not going to buy ad slots based on something so chancy and esoteric any time soon.

*EDIT* just read Color's ToS and got a chuckle out of this, under the heading DO THE RIGHT THING...

"Don’t use our Service for commercial purposes."

9. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

When Twitter first came out I signed up and tried it out and within a day or two I knew I would just never use it and I really didn't "get it. But it has caught on like crazy and I still don't "get it".

Perhaps Color will catch on like Twitter, or maybe it won't.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

My brain started to hurt as I tried to comprehend the purpose of the app, so I deleted it :)

11. appmacs, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

appmacs macrumors newbie

12. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I'm well over a week into the use of "Color" and it's not getting any better. Even though more people are beginning to use the app... I don't feel like anything ground breaking is, or will soon begin, happening.

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm still trying to understand the whole concept of this app. I'm willing to give it a shot, if I understand it correctly.

Is it like this:
    With the app, you can see pictures that people have taken with in 150 ft of you in the past or present?

Or:
    You'll see pictures of people within 150ft of you that have taken pictures right now withing a certain time limit?

If its the former, then I can see how this would be neat. At a big game, or some party, etc. Sure, lets see pictures that were taken here at this location months ago. To see what it was like.

But if its only of pictures being taken of right now...whats the point?

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

On TWiT yesterday it was said that Color leaves your microphone on, the app does this without telling you, kind of shady.

15. writeletters00 macrumors newbie

16. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

That's really shady... I wouldn't use it if it's doing that.

17. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Just downloaded it, and really intrigued. I believe it's a photo timeline of the area you're located in. Very cool, IMO. Especially for parties, special events (concerts, plays, etc.),

Uploaded photo of myself at the office building I work in, and no one else has uploaded photos ha. I don't exactly work with the "hippest" of technology-folks, though, considering it's a lot of database administrators and bankers.

18. appmacs macrumors newbie

LOL, you people have it wrong, it is not a PICTURE TOOL, it is meant to morph into more of a social tool, I think they pre-launched it a bit to early, the people behind it are pretty brilliant, let it roll up, and add some features, I heard they do not take any personal info other than assigning a unique code to each phone.

19. Maccleduff macrumors regular

They spelt it wrong to start with. It's 'colour' ;)

20. Tapiwa macrumors member

You mean spelled? :D

21. walie macrumors 6502a

correct

22. appmacs macrumors newbie

They actually own both spellings Color & Colour .com

23. TinyTechnician macrumors newbie

TinyTechnician

I found it funny that they released an update on April Fools.

The App is confusing...totally got universally slammed on release. They need to fix that "confusing" part first, get some user feedback, and then give it another go.

Color, can I have some of your users...sigh.

24. returnofthe-mac, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

returnofthe-mac macrumors newbie

These guys messed up the launch big time, app users were left confused, and unimpressed, they didn't even secure colorapp.com.

Most people I know, didn't understand it, and just deleted it, If I was a VC who had money invested in this, I would get a marketing/PR some human type person in there ASAP.

Looks to be to many techies, who are unable to relay the apps product features to the public.