COLOR bug? Constantly crashes...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ZballZ, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

I use Apple Color to do very basic primary grade on corporate videos. I normally work on a MBP with Final Cut studio, but recently got a macbook air to take on the road. It works great, and runs Final Cut Pro much better than expected...

But recently I wanted to do a little basic grading on a project, and since I was working on the Macbook Air, I just opened the project from that machine.

BUT; Color crashed immediately - "quit unexpectedly"-error.

So, I did different test, and even tried to cold-start Color, which worked fine until I imported a clip. Immediately it crashed again ! I tried re-installing. Deleting all preferences. No difference. It crashes still.

So - I cant really figure out what the problem is. Could it be that Color simply will not run on Intel 3000 HD gfx card? Or is it something to do with Tiger OSX? (my MBP still runs Snow Leopard). ? Or has the fact that I have FCPX running on the same machine something to do with this??

I know it will never run great on an Air, but would still be nice to do some simple correction...

Comments and ideas greatly appreated...

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know if Color is compatible w/integrated GFX cards. What kind of media are you trying to load into it? If you open the same media and same project on another machine does it work?

Lethal

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Are you on Color 1.0 (FCS2) or 1.5 (FCS3)? On Color 1.0, Intel graphics chipsets aren't supported at all, but Color 1.5 does support the 3000 HD chipset.

FCP X shouldn't have anything to do with the crashing. It runs independently of the legacy FCS apps.

4. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

I am on color 1.5.3 - and the crash happens on all types of clips. Even if I import a single Prores clip.

I tried re-install, trashing prefs etc. No difference...

5. serchbb macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Tried repair permissions with disk utility.... but nothing... keeps crashing and crashing and crashing!!!

I need to work with my MBA!!!!

Any ideas? Someone????

6. pica93 macrumors member

Any Fix for this? - I too, am on a i7 Macbook Air 13". With Color 1.5.3 and OS Lion 10.7.3. With exactly the same problems with importing stuff into the timeline of color. It crashes......

7. lesyork macrumors member

I've just had to fix this problem on my MBP8,2. Unfortunately for you, it was resolved by switching to the dedicated graphics card (I use gfxCardStatus). It doesn't seem to play ball with my HD3000 at all.

8. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Yep. Color crashes also when I forget to switch over to the discrete GPU. Seems the Pro Apps don't really like them HD3000 cards. I have some issues with Aperture and FCP X also with that Intel thing.

9. vet macrumors newbie

I've got the same issue here running Color 1.5.3. Doesn't make sense for it to be crashing out of the blue since it used to work fine. I'm also running it on an i5 MBA. Again, not sure what's wrong, but it used to work on the same machine flawlessly.