Color calibration lost with video playback

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NameUndecided, Jan 6, 2014.

1. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Hello!

I've just found a color profile that I really am very happy with for my 2013 Air's LG screen. Big thanks to pinktank's post in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1603290

My problem now is that the color becomes awful in comparison when I have video playing in iTunes, and not quite as bad but still downgraded if I play a video in VLC or MPlayerX.

Trying to find a cause or solution, it seems like others who've had similar issues on other Mac models blame graphic switching(?), but my knowledge about that ends here. I guess my 2013 Air doesn't have graphics switching because there is no mention of it in my settings' Energy Saver options.
    A solution that some mentioned in similar threads was gfxCardStatus http://gfx.io but that doesn't seem to be compatible with the Air.

So if the video is playing in iTunes, it looks great if there is any on-screen-display (play, pause, etc) overlaid on the video, or if subtitles are present. Moments when subtitles are not on screen, the color switches back to awful (ha!).

My best solution if I want to watch a video in this better color profile calibration -- play the video in Preview mode and set that in full screen. But that's hardly the best solution and is very limiting to what I can watch. Not even legit-purchased iTunes video content can be viewed this way.

There's got to be a way to fix this, otherwise this is just maddeningly limiting now that I'm very happy with my display's color for everything else.

Any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. pinktank macrumors 6502

3. NameUndecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you. That does clarify things a little bit, but the solution is a little bit much for me to want to deal with, unfortunately.

Ahh, but you know what I have found… some color profiles are causing videos to distort even more than others when there are no other onscreen elements.

For instance, if I have your custom profile that I've loaded, pinktank, if I'm playing an iTunes movie, the colors will suddenly become very red when the onscreen display elements go away.
    If I have the default "Color LCD" calibration selected, then the difference is a lot more minimal (a lot less maximal?). The colors are still slightly more vibrant when the onscreen display stuff is on, but it's not nearly as disappointing a difference when they go away.

And I suppose video does look just fine in iTunes with the original "Color LCD" calibration. So I think the best thing to do is to switch to the default calibration when I'm watching videos, and the preferred custom profile for everything else.

There seems to be a ton of variables and I'm not quite technically minded or interested enough to keep messing with it a lot further. But I think that seems to be the best solution -- just change the calibration to Color LCD when I watch a video on the Air's screen.

Thank you so very much for all of your help! :)