Color Calibration Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g3funk, Apr 29, 2009.

1. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

Picture 1 is with a calibration and Picture 2 is the calibration the computer shipped with. I am having a hard time figuring out which one looks better. You can see that pic1 is much harsher, it has much more steel looking menus and it actually seems to bug my eyes a little bit...maybe too blue? Pic2 is much more cool and without all the blue's and grey. Maybe pic2 is much more washed out but I was throwing this to the crowd and see how you all feel?

Attached Files:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Use a hardware calibrator if you need to work on color critical material. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Ha, its really difficult to discern the color differences when we aren't seeing the monitor in person... A screenshot isn't incredibly helpful in this instance :eek:

4. philips macrumors regular

philips

I never tried to calibrate my MBP17 - so I have no clue as to what standard calibration in Mac OS X does - but I have a feeling that you miss the point of what calibration is and why it is needed.

As our human eyes are very quick to adapt, how colors look on screen pretty much make no difference - it's a matter of a personal preference and taste.

The display calibration serves different purpose: it is to make sure that whatever you print would look on the paper same way as it is on the screen. In other words calibration is coupling of your printer and your screen - so that you do not need to test print every time you change color in your picture. It's what makes desktop publishing possible.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if your screen is over rated on the Gamma, or the clock is out... perhaps the resolution is off... maybe everything is blurry?

it does matter. and when getting any new monitor or tv... you should ALWAYS take a good amount of time to calibrate it