Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
I did a MRoogle search on this subject and I was surprised not to come up with many current hits at all.

I read some of these reviews http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm and most were several years old.

I just bought my new 17" i7 MBP and I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I know that you need to calibrate your screen for true color fidelity and accurate output.

What color calibration tools do you use? So far I'm liking the LaCie Blue Eye products. One reason is because I see a lot of the reviews on monitors (which I'm also looking for) use that tool. The interface and accuracy seem to be of good quality.

I have heard of some problems with the Spyder 3 Elite not being that accurate and having problems with Intel Macs.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I believe the issue is with LED backlighting - not "Intel Macs". I've had no problems with a Spyder 2 Pro on non-LED displays attached to Intel Macs. ;)

Since it sounds like you've decided to buy an external monitor, you should probably make that choice first - then pick a calibration tool known to work well with whatever display you purchase.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I used the eye-one with great results.

it was a friend's eye-one so I am looking into buying one myself. Whilst checking prices, its very pricey so I might consider the Spyder 3 (Pro)...

Regarding your point with the Spyder 3 and intel macs, do you have a link?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the old reviews aren't really an issue since there aren't many new products. the only possible problems are if you have an LED or wide-gamut display.

I use i1Display 2. if you have the money, I think you should go for a Lacie Blue Eye or ColorMunki.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
I used the eye-one with great results.

it was a friend's eye-one so I am looking into buying one myself. Whilst checking prices, its very pricey so I might consider the Spyder 3 (Pro)...

Regarding your point with the Spyder 3 and intel macs, do you have a link?

It was either here or here

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I just bought my new 17" i7 MBP and I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I know that you need to calibrate your screen for true color fidelity and accurate output.

If you truly want accuracy, there are three points of calibration:

1. Your sensor/lighting- I use an X-Rite Passport.
2. Your monitor- I use a Spyder 2.
3. Your printer- I cheap out and use profiled inks and papers.

Paul

funkboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
elsewhere
I got an older model Eye One refurbished for a hundred bucks several years ago, and it works just fine with the current Match software.

Seriously looking at getting the Passport colorchecker as well to create DNG profiles for Lightroom.

Printer & Inks: I stick with stuff with good factory profiles. Epson printer & ink + Ilford or Epson papers produces good results for me.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I use a Spyder2 express with my 23" Apple Cinema Display. And everything seems fine.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Seriously looking at getting the Passport colorchecker as well to create DNG profiles for Lightroom.

Me too. My finger hovers over the "order" button every day :) I am lucky in that I already have a colorchecker chart, and the software is a free download, so I was able to try it out for myself. You can see some examples below (half the image is corrected, the other half not). It's too bad my colorchecker chart is full sized and a bit cumbersome to take around with me because I think I have convinced myself the results are valid- just the $100 asking price for the passport is a little steep for my tastes (considering the software is a free download, and the full sized chart only costs $65). If it ever went on sale for a little bit I'd be all over it.

Ruahrc

20100701001.jpg

20100701002.jpg

20100701003.jpg

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
If you want to go beyond just calibrating your display and want the output from your printer to match what you see on the screen, I can highly recommend ColorMunki. Outstanding results, well worth the cost, considering the expense of inks, paper, and your time.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
just the $100 asking price for the passport is a little steep for my tastes (considering the software is a free download, and the full sized chart only costs $65).

While I wish they were cheaper, I don't think the fact the software is downloadable really makes any difference, the cost to produce the software is the same, no matter if they make you jump through hoops to get it or not.

Paul

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
While I wish they were cheaper, I don't think the fact the software is downloadable really makes any difference, the cost to produce the software is the same, no matter if they make you jump through hoops to get it or not.

Paul

True, but given that the software is really little more than a front-end for Adobe's (free) DNG profiler, I can't imagine it took a lot of resources to produce. Playing "armchair developer" for a moment, I actually wouldn't be surprised that they have to give it out for free because of some limitation due to the fact that the profiling engine is actually Adobe's code.

And again, if the software is so valuable, why do they freely give it out to anyone via the web vs. charging for it online as well?

Anyhow, I think it's a solid product but I keep waiting for a sale before I bite.

Ruahrc

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
If you want to go beyond just calibrating your display and want the output from your printer to match what you see on the screen, I can highly recommend ColorMunki. Outstanding results, well worth the cost, considering the expense of inks, paper, and your time.

I have seen the ColorMunki in action. I was certainly impressed. Somewhere I read that the software only allows you to profile 3 machines. It won't work for any more. I wish I remembered more detail about it.

Do you know anything about this???

amoergosum

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
I have seen the ColorMunki in action. I was certainly impressed. Somewhere I read that the software only allows you to profile 3 machines. It won't work for any more. I wish I remembered more detail about it.

Do you know anything about this???

Here's what Stephen Rankin (Product Manager for the X-Rite ColorMunki) wrote on another forum >>>

Hello ehmac memebers......

My name is Stephen Rankin and I am the Product Manager for the X-Rite ColorMunki. I saw some recent posts regarding the product and noticed that some of the information was incorrect.

It is true that ColorMunki comes with a single user, 3 computer software license agreement. It is also true that after the software has been installed, it requires the user to connect their ColorMunki instrument for "activation."

However, it is NOT true that X-Rite writes or records anything inside the ColorMunki device or transfers any information to our web server which would prevent the software or device from being used on additional computers.
Instead, ColorMunki simply ships with a license agreement that the user must acknowledge during the software installation and then we rely on the "honor system" as the only means of software license enforcement.

This means that If a user buys a new computer, they can simply uninstall the ColorMunki software from their old computer and install it on their new one. This can be done repeatedly. For each installation they will be asked to "activate" the software. This process simply verifies to us that they do in fact own a ColorMunki instrument.

I hope this information is helpful.

Steve.

Source:
http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/67023-color-calibration-2.html

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
Hi Everyone...

I have since bought the ColorMUnki Photo, a HP ZR30w monitor and a Epson R2880 large format printer. I have calibrated the printer, 30" monitor and my MBP. I use the MBP as a sidekick monitor when I'm hooked up to the 30" HP.

Everything works beautifully.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
You do a lot of B&W shots? That printer is particularly good for those. I have the R1800 (basically the R2880 more with color photos as its forte.)

I really want the Colormunki - that looks to be one of the best ones out there. For now I'm using an i1 Display 2 calibrator with 27" Samsung monitor. Was a bit happier with the previous monitor's color, but I still get beautiful shots, and I really wanted the larger monitor :)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Pantone Huey Pro that I got on super blowout special. I'm not a pro, it's good enough.. it was inexpensive and works well. Their customer support is outstanding.

I use a color checker passport for camera calibration.

SoCalRich

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
NorCal
Yes I do a lot of B&W post process. Kind of a throw back to when I first started with photography and doing my own developing in the darkroom. I can still smell all the chemicals... lol...

First I optimize the photo in LR3 or CS5. Then I use Nik's Silver Efex Pro to process the B&W image. Great software!

There are several panel technologies currently being manufactured today. IPS is the best (and most expensive) for correct color fidelity. The HP ZR30w has been an excellent choice for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.