Color Calibration... What do you use?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SoCalRich, Jun 28, 2010.

1. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I did a MRoogle search on this subject and I was surprised not to come up with many current hits at all.

I read some of these reviews http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm and most were several years old.

I just bought my new 17" i7 MBP and I use Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. I know that you need to calibrate your screen for true color fidelity and accurate output.

What color calibration tools do you use? So far I'm liking the LaCie Blue Eye products. One reason is because I see a lot of the reviews on monitors (which I'm also looking for) use that tool. The interface and accuracy seem to be of good quality.

I have heard of some problems with the Spyder 3 Elite not being that accurate and having problems with Intel Macs.

Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated.

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I believe the issue is with LED backlighting - not "Intel Macs". I've had no problems with a Spyder 2 Pro on non-LED displays attached to Intel Macs. ;)

Since it sounds like you've decided to buy an external monitor, you should probably make that choice first - then pick a calibration tool known to work well with whatever display you purchase.

3. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

I used the eye-one with great results.

it was a friend's eye-one so I am looking into buying one myself. Whilst checking prices, its very pricey so I might consider the Spyder 3 (Pro)...

Regarding your point with the Spyder 3 and intel macs, do you have a link?

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

5. toxic macrumors 68000

the old reviews aren't really an issue since there aren't many new products. the only possible problems are if you have an LED or wide-gamut display.

I use i1Display 2. if you have the money, I think you should go for a Lacie Blue Eye or ColorMunki.

6. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

It was either here or here

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you truly want accuracy, there are three points of calibration:

1. Your sensor/lighting- I use an X-Rite Passport.
    2. Your monitor- I use a Spyder 2.
    3. Your printer- I cheap out and use profiled inks and papers.

Paul

8. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

9. funkboy macrumors regular

I got an older model Eye One refurbished for a hundred bucks several years ago, and it works just fine with the current Match software.

Seriously looking at getting the Passport colorchecker as well to create DNG profiles for Lightroom.

Printer & Inks: I stick with stuff with good factory profiles. Epson printer & ink + Ilford or Epson papers produces good results for me.

10. Stratification macrumors regular

I've had good luck with my Spyder3Express. Nice tool to have on hand, and not too spendy, note that the Express won't (easily) do dual monitors.

11. sananda macrumors 68020

I use a Spyder2 express with my 23" Apple Cinema Display. And everything seems fine.

12. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Me too. My finger hovers over the "order" button every day :) I am lucky in that I already have a colorchecker chart, and the software is a free download, so I was able to try it out for myself. You can see some examples below (half the image is corrected, the other half not). It's too bad my colorchecker chart is full sized and a bit cumbersome to take around with me because I think I have convinced myself the results are valid- just the $100 asking price for the passport is a little steep for my tastes (considering the software is a free download, and the full sized chart only costs $65). If it ever went on sale for a little bit I'd be all over it.

Ruahrc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

If you want to go beyond just calibrating your display and want the output from your printer to match what you see on the screen, I can highly recommend ColorMunki. Outstanding results, well worth the cost, considering the expense of inks, paper, and your time.

14. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

While I wish they were cheaper, I don't think the fact the software is downloadable really makes any difference, the cost to produce the software is the same, no matter if they make you jump through hoops to get it or not.

Paul

15. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

True, but given that the software is really little more than a front-end for Adobe's (free) DNG profiler, I can't imagine it took a lot of resources to produce. Playing "armchair developer" for a moment, I actually wouldn't be surprised that they have to give it out for free because of some limitation due to the fact that the profiling engine is actually Adobe's code.

And again, if the software is so valuable, why do they freely give it out to anyone via the web vs. charging for it online as well?

Anyhow, I think it's a solid product but I keep waiting for a sale before I bite.

Ruahrc

16. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I have seen the ColorMunki in action. I was certainly impressed. Somewhere I read that the software only allows you to profile 3 machines. It won't work for any more. I wish I remembered more detail about it.

Do you know anything about this???

17. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Here's what Stephen Rankin (Product Manager for the X-Rite ColorMunki) wrote on another forum >>>

Source:
    http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/67023-color-calibration-2.html

18. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Hi Everyone...

I have since bought the ColorMUnki Photo, a HP ZR30w monitor and a Epson R2880 large format printer. I have calibrated the printer, 30" monitor and my MBP. I use the MBP as a sidekick monitor when I'm hooked up to the 30" HP.

Everything works beautifully.

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

You do a lot of B&W shots? That printer is particularly good for those. I have the R1800 (basically the R2880 more with color photos as its forte.)

I really want the Colormunki - that looks to be one of the best ones out there. For now I'm using an i1 Display 2 calibrator with 27" Samsung monitor. Was a bit happier with the previous monitor's color, but I still get beautiful shots, and I really wanted the larger monitor :)

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Pantone Huey Pro that I got on super blowout special. I'm not a pro, it's good enough.. it was inexpensive and works well. Their customer support is outstanding.

I use a color checker passport for camera calibration.

21. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Yes I do a lot of B&W post process. Kind of a throw back to when I first started with photography and doing my own developing in the darkroom. I can still smell all the chemicals... lol...

First I optimize the photo in LR3 or CS5. Then I use Nik's Silver Efex Pro to process the B&W image. Great software!

There are several panel technologies currently being manufactured today. IPS is the best (and most expensive) for correct color fidelity. The HP ZR30w has been an excellent choice for me.