Color Calibration

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kenaiking, Jul 23, 2012.

1. kenaiking macrumors newbie

My wife just upgraded from windows 7 to Lion. She calibrates with a Huey Pro and on Windows its perfect but with lion it leaves a pink overtone on the monitor. I think it's just time to upgrade.

Anyhow I'm looking for recommendations on a new monitor calibration tool that works well for lion. Right now I'm leaning toward the spyder4 pro.

Thanks in advance!

2. dimme macrumors 65816

It may be just your software, I have a older monico device and the software in no longer supported but the calibration is fine. I use the open source displaycal GUI and I get perfect results. As good as my eye one and Enzo software I use at work.

3. MrGIS macrumors regular

Spyder3Express works for me...

If a software update does not help, the Spyder3Express has served me well so far. Also ensure you use a usb port on the computer itself rather than a hub etc.

4. revenent macrumors regular

5. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Hi everyone - I'm contemplating a monitor calibration gizmo - was also considering a Spyder 4 Elite like the OP.

Any reason the X-rite stuff is better? (These seem to be branded as Colormunki's?). Some look quite good with prices to match - not too bothered about price but don't want to waste money.

There's also a ColorVision Printfix which looks interesting - again any thoughts?

My usage is mainly design as opposed to pure photography.

6. codymac macrumors 6502

I can happily report that the Spyder4 I received today works with 10.8 (and 10.7.4, and 10.6.8).

I'm pleased.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

X-rite has a weird way of branding things in that Colormunki refers to a couple different devices. It's just that it refers specifically to low end/budget options in both cases. One is a colorimeter. The other is a spectrophotometer, although the colorimeters are supposedly 90% the same in terms of hardware (I don't know if the i1 display pro is better tested, but it does come with different software and you can actually use it with non X-rite software where supported). I'd put it between the Spyder 4 and the i1 display pro or Colormunki display. I don't know about the different tiers to the Spyder system, but you might look for comparison reviews on those 2. Either way it's not so much calibration as it is profile accuracy. The generated profile is supposed to provide a more accurate depiction of the hardware. Some software comes with certain validations where it will test the results with specific color patches. During calibration/profiling you'll notice it tends to stick to primaries and grey levels, most of the time by quarter tones and measurements for the white point temperature.

8. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

I've used Huey Pro, Spyder3Pro, Spyder3Elite and ColorMunki Display.

My Huey Pro also started to give very strange calibrations after a couple of years use (it was fine with Leopard, but on Snow Leopard I would get blue/green or pink tinted screens). So I traded it in for a ColorMunki. At work we use the Spyder Pro/Elites.

The ColorMinki and Spyders all give excellent results. My personal favourite is the ColorMunki - the calibration process is the easiest of the bunch.

Hope that helps a bit.

9. spacedcadet macrumors regular

gamma

didn't Apple change the gamma from 1.8 to 2.2(PC standard) at some point, between Leopard and Snow Leopard? Could that explain strange results?

10. kenaiking thread starter macrumors newbie

I gave the display cal software a go. It worked pretty good. Still a very light pink hugh but I'm still messing with it. The process is a bit more involved then the huey but the results are better.

I went and ordered the spyder4 so I will test them both.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It made little difference if your workflow was color managed. Typically you'd create a profile via measurements (referred to here as calibration). Given that you would assign a Gamma 2.2 profile as that tracked the hardware response accurately, color managed applications would interpret this correctly.

12. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Hi Guys ... thanks for the responses - very useful.

13. blanka macrumors 68000

What monitor do you use. Often people are calibrating crap displays when using a good display uncalibrated is way easier.