Color Classic - Not booting

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ih8reno, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I recently tried to boot my in box Color classic it's an official Apple keyboard with power button and it does absolutely nothing. I removed the pram battery and same result. Does this machine need a working battery to boot or is it more then likely capacitors.

2. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

Plug in the power cord and wait a couple minutes, then try again. That does the same as a battery

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Thanks, tried and no reaction

4. amagichnich macrumors 6502

amagichnich

:(
    Specs list 2 ADB ports, does it have a rear port or is the second on the keyboard?
    The Mac should boot even with an empty PRAM battery, but what if it is damaged? Have you had a look at it?
    I don't know how Apple handled the power supply in the Colour Classic, but with later Macs there is a board that first powers on the display and then the computer itself.
    So if even the display doesn't do anything (charging sound of a CRT) I'd suspect one of capacitors to be dead

5. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Oh - don't forget the power switch next to the IEC power inlet on the back to switch it to "standby" mode.

However, there are some caps that leak near the ADB port that (IIRC), etch tracks associated with the soft-power-on circuit. :(

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

motherboard needs cleaned and recapped. I have not seen one at this age that capacitors have not failed on.

7. developer27 macrumors newbie

developer27

My Color Classic boots to the Welcome screen, but fails to goto the desktop screen. If I let it sit there for 5 minutes or so it displays an error message that says "not enough ram, hold the shift key while rebooting to prevent extensions from loading "..
    I did that and same results. The simm slots were empty and I tried Simms from a different mac, but same results. I did some searching and found out that the simm slots can take 30pin 4, 8 or 16mb simms. I also found a YouTube video that you can replace the mother board with one from the LC-575. I have the LC-550 and tried that with same results again. I think OS 7.5 is on the HD, but I can't get that far to confirm it. I really hope to get it running again..

It has been sitting in the store room at my shop for more than 10 years along with some 512s, se30s, and others. The first time I turned them on, half of them had screens looking like vertical bars, but later on some booted to desktop.. They had 40mb HDs.

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Try holding the spacebar down as the machine boots. If the installed OS is late enough, it might open extensions manager for you, where you can choose a "base" set of extensions.

Either that or you may need to boot from a System 7.5 floppy disk and manually disable extensions on the internal hard drive's System Folder.

9. developer27 macrumors newbie

developer27

I think I remember something about being able to connect 2 macs together with a scsi cable, then mount one as a HD on the desktop of the other mac.. if I'm right, can mac1 boot up from mac2 HD, then format mac1's HD and copy mac2's HD to mac1?

The reason why I say this..

Mac1 boots to OS 7.5 but has errors on the disk
    Mac2 only boots to the welcome screen but might have all my original work that I want to save.

I need to boot Mac1 from Mac2 and try to restore the Mac1 HD..

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Sadly that is only possible if one of the Macs is a Powerbook (laptop).