Color classics hard drive failures

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by havokalien, Sep 18, 2012.

1. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Ok this is just weird FYI, I picked up 3 color classics a couple of weeks ago for a song. Two are perfect one has damage to its case and works perfectly. So I use them for a few days and shut them off. Boot one to mess with it yesterday and floppy drive icon appears, so I try the other two. The other two same thing. I pull motherboards look for easy caps clean dust and still all 3 no boot. So I boot off an external hard drive and a floppy I have and both work. So I pull the hard drive and grab a spare a Walah! Boots just fine. I do that to all three. OMG, 3 dead hard drive at one time. I swapped the old drives back in one more time just to see if it was a connection issue, nope dead as dead can be. 3 80 megers all at once funny stuff.

2. lowbelly macrumors member

What a bummer! But I'm curious what you're going to do with 3 color classics.

3. havokalien thread starter macrumors 6502a

havokalien

What to do

Thats a great question. At the time I was just picking up one. She handed me 3 and two Mac 128's looks like upgraded to 512 and a Mac portable and parts to keep them all running till the world ends lol, well the portable I have not found a decent 9 or 10 volt power supply yet but I'm sure the caps are waayyyyy bad.

I found two LC 520 boards that fit and use the correct back on the color classic. All the boards are supposed to run 7.6.1. I got 7.6.1 to install with the original motherboards but the lc boards won't. Something tells me if I don't due the video mod to 640 x 480 it won't install as it sees an LC without useable correct resolution. Does this sound correct to anyone?