Color coding clips/timeline in Final Cut Express HD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HunterGather, Dec 13, 2008.

1. HunterGather macrumors member

Hey all. This might be a dumb question, but I can't seem to find out how (or if i can at all).

I want to get more of a visual reference to the large amount of clips in my project.

I can't see an option to make clips in the timeline a certain color.

I googled around, and I guess this is something you can do in FCP, and possibly FCE4 (?).

Any help appreciated.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

No unfortunately, I don't believe you can do this in FCE 3.5 ( HD ). Unless you have an extraordinarily large project, I don't see why you'd need it though...
    Just make good use of bins and name your clips in the project. For organizing on the timeline make good use of extra video tracks. I usually have more than a dozen tracks I use as temporary places to keep clips before I know exactly where I want to place them.
    Or designate certain video track ranges to be your categories. It's a little messy to keep track of, but you have to do things like that if you want to edit on the cheap. I keep a spiral notebook next to my desk with all my notes about a project for quick reference.

3. HunterGather thread starter macrumors member

arg.
    yeah, i do the same thing right now. Keeping notes and organizing them accordingly in the timeline, but for this particular project, it would have been easier to color code certain things.

Thanks though!