Color correction gopros Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rei101, Oct 30, 2014.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Hello

I have several GoPros footage, and I would like to color correct all of them. They are parachutes jumping, same jump with different cameras. And several jumps.

I use Final Cut 7 and After Effects. Is there a pluging that can take a sample of one camera and paste the color correct parameters into the other ones? Or let me know your ideas.

Thank you!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you use the 3-way Color Corrector filter in FCP 7 there is are eye droppers to set the Black Balance and White Balance which will get you started in the right general direction, but I've yet to see any sort of 'auto correct' function that is worthwhile. With four cameras filming something as dynamic as a sky dive I'd imagine the corrections needed for each camera are going to change many times during the course of the jump. For example, a camera could keep changing between being overexposed and underexposed as the sun keeps moving in and out of frame.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You don't need a plugin for that. Both Final Cut 7 and AE allow you to copy and paste filters from one clip to another.

But as LethalWolfe said, that's not terribly useful here as you may find you need different corrections for every shot you cut out of a master clip.

It may be helpful to do a basic filter where you get everything close and then paste that around as a first step. But be prepared to need to slightly tweak that on every single clip you paste it on.

(Final Cut X has a feature that's kind of the opposite of what you asked. Instead of pasting the same effect everywhere you instead pick one clip you like and then tell all the others to "look like this." Like before, this will only get you close, but if you ever use FCPX it'd be worth playing with as a first-pass kind of thing.)

4. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeap, I need a filter like the one on FCX to balance all the clips equal. I was wondering if there was such option for FCP7 or After Effects.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'm sure there are but I'm not aware of any 3rd party plugins for FCP or AE. But as Lethal already pointed out, these auto correct plugins leave much to be desired. Just do it manually with the built in color correction tools. Take the footage from the camera you're trying to match, get your white/black reference, and go to work. You'll end up with better results.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How long are the videos you are needing to color correct?

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

You do NOT need a plug-in. Color Grading is a core feature of Final Cut. It has extensive color features. What you need to do is get hold of some training materials. I think Lynda.com still has FCP7 videos on this and there is always the user manual.

There is a learning curve, matching color in video is an art and the software has a LOT of features. You need to do this every time you cut video

This is one area that changed between FCP7 and FCPX.

8. rei101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you!, let me take a look at it.

9. Borntorun macrumors member

I agree, FCP7 is lightyears ahead of FCPX when it comes to colour correction. I transitioned to FCPX as it is probably the fatest NLE on the planet, but I do my colour grading outside of FCPX in davinci resolve. There are numerous options to integrate davinci into your workflow.

For correcting gopro footage, the Lite version if resolve should be all you need. Best thing, it is for free on the App Store.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I would download it directly from Blackmagic, not the App Store. I don't know if it's still true but in the past the App Store version lagged behind when it came to updates/point release.