Color inconsitency on one screen

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by 2ndPath, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Has anyone observed this strange behaviour:

I have a MBP connected to a 23" ACD. I calibrated both screens. I open a picture in Photoshop and save it including the corresponding color profile to the disk. Then I open it with one of Apples applications, for example Preview, and display the Picture both in Preview and in Photoshop next to each other on the ACD.

When both screen are switched on the pictures look the same as it would be expected. The strange thing is when only the ACD is used and the internal display of the MBP is deactivated but all other settings are as they were before. Then the pictures are displayed differently by both applications. I think the one changing is Preview. The color profile for the ACD is the same in both cases. In both cases the main screen is on the ACD.

Did anyone experience the same or does anyone know the reason for this?

Thanks for your answers.

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I had a very similar experience with Windows PC a little while ago, sorry that I can't really help out because I ended up replacing the machine with a Mac now I don't have the colour issues any more.

3. londonweb macrumors 6502

londonweb

I'm not sure if Preview supports colour profiles - I could be wrong. I get a weird thing sometimes whereby I drag a picture from one screen to the other. Normally you do this and after a second the colour profile of the new screen kicks in and the picture refreshes to look as it should. Sometimes though, the profile doesn't kick in and the image doesn't change.

4. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

From my experience Preview supports color profiles: As long as I save the Photoshop image with a Profile embedded, Preview will display it correctly (except for the case described above). If no color profile is embedded, the way Preview displays it depends on the the color space the image was converted to before.

The problem you experienced sounded somewhat similar to what I was experiencing. In fact, I had the impression that the image was displayed in the 1-screen mode in Preview as if it was dragged from the other screen and the colour wasn't adjusted after the move.

5. londonweb macrumors 6502

londonweb

Sounds like we've got the same problem. Perhaps it's a bug? I personally don't take much issue with it because I run a main monitor from my laptop and the screen tones are slightly different anyway, despite numerous attempts to synchronise them. How often (and why) do you need to look at the same image simultaneously in different apps though?

6. 2ndPath thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, to me it looks like a bug. And for me it's not so much about looking at images in two different applications, but rather that colors are displayed incorrectly when using certain applications under certain conditions. Thus some applications just are not reliable when color accuracy is an issue.