Color labels in Finder and NFS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Don.Key, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Don.Key macrumors regular

Hello,

I am having a problem with assigning color labels to files which reside on NFS volume mounted on my machine.

NFS Server is FreeBSD based, when I assign the color label to a file, it is applied to it but disappears once I close and reopen the folder or simply click on the file again.

I guess this is related to the forks / meta data but I thought that OSX is supposed to store it in the .[filename] now?!

Anyone got an idea how I could make this work?

Regards

Don

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I thought file labels like that got stored in the .DS_Store files, not the ._files, but I may be remembering wrong. Perhaps some metadata like label is actually stored in the filesystem, and isn't present on unsupported filesystems at all?

Question: There's a tweak you can do to prevent the Finder from creating .DS_Store files on network volumes. You can do it via the terminal (Apple actually has instructions in a KBase article somewhere), and I think TinkerTool can also do that. Is it possible you turned that on at some point and forgot about it? That might cause the behavior you're describing.

3. inerd89 macrumors newbie

I am having problems assigning color labels to any mounted disks on my machine. Labels that were previously existing are still there, but cannot be changed. New labels cannot be applied. Interesting little issue. Most of my disks are mounted via SMB.