color labels in mail.app toolbar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by feuerschlange, Sep 2, 2009.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Is there a way, to change the cumbersome color labeling of mails in mail.app into a simple set of color label buttons in the toolbar?

2. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Come on! Somebody must use mail.app out there and feel the same annoyance, to have to "command+shift+c" all the time, to color mark a mail.

3. RichSimmo macrumors newbie

Yes, there are color labels!

The best I've found so far is to add the 'Color' button to the toolbar. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

In Mail, go to View-->Customize Toolbar and drag the 'Color' button up to your toolbar. After hitting 'Done' all you have to do is select the message header you wish to apply a color to, hit the new 'Color' button and choose your color. Couldn't be much easier. I wish this was set as default by Apple, oh well.

Hope that helps.

4. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

I use "shift + command + c" alot to bring up the color picker a lot in mail.app. this is quicker for me than the button.

What I (and many others before me) really need is a quick (best would be a shortcut), to label mails.

Also strongly missing is to comment or add notes to received mails.
    Outlook is way more powerful and straight regarding these points.

The Mac variant though (Entourage) is heavily bloated and not usable at all for me.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then run Outlook through a virtualization suite. We get that you want a feature that Mail doesn't provide. If you're serious about it, learn to code a plugin or pay someone else to do it. There's nothing out of the box that will give you this feature other than the keyboard shortcut you already mentioned, so its not worth saying what "should" happen.