Color laser multifunction?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cube, Nov 29, 2007.

1. cube macrumors G4

I having a hard time finding a multifunction with:

- laser
    - color
    - fax
    - junk fax filter
    - duplex COPYING and printing
    - ethernet
    - ON BOARD PostScript and PCL emulation
    - relatively compact

Any ideas? It must have all this. I have already found some which fail at one item or the other.

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

3. cube thread starter macrumors G4

I already looked at it. No duplex. MAIN killer.

Thanks

So far it looks like I would have to relax the emulation requirements and find one which is well supported by CUPS (not only on Linux and Mac).

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

5. cube thread starter macrumors G4

That is inkjet.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm pretty sure that HP doesn't make a model meeting all of your requirements together.

7. cube thread starter macrumors G4

It doesn't need to be HP. Other brands also support PCL. Also, probably don't need PCL if it has PostScript.

8. CortexRock macrumors 6502

I think you might be asking too much to get all that functionality in one compact device, but here's another go... this time from Lexmark. Can't find a reference to duplex though.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Ah, my mistake. I specified laser in the search and didn't verify that it returned as such. Sorry, though if it were laser I might have gotten one for myself!

10. cube thread starter macrumors G4

There are 25 Kg printers that have everything but just goof on the emulation.
    Those spec pages of Lexmark are not very informative, but I found elsewhere that it has no junk fax blocker, so I don't need to look further.

Thanks

11. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Last one - from Brother - the MFC-9840CDW - but that's getting into the large workgroup style machines.

12. cube thread starter macrumors G4

Yeah. I saw that one and the USA site has better info, but it's HUGE.

13. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Well I'm out of ideas, but I'll leave you with this YouTube clip from a popular British sketch show called Little Britain. ;)

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Maybe from the responses in this thread, you probably aren't going to get something that matches you exact specifications.

You won't get all those features on something compact.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Do you want laser for speed or laser for large-volume printing? If it's for speed, an inkjet might still do the job. I've got an Officejet L7680 and is is fairly impressive in how it kicks out pages, and also the speed with which it does so. Printout on plain paper is very decent. It's duplex, fax, scan, ethernet with network scanning. One thing I'm not sure about is if the OSX drivers have any issues - my Macs at home get comparatively little use and never for any printing duties.

16. pprior macrumors 65816

there is no such beast currently. I looked for same thing. Ended up with the multifunction that macworld has recommended now for at least 6 months and it's a nice multifunction but limits in some ways. For what you want, it will be big, and expensive.

17. pprior macrumors 65816

Well I'm back looking again - the Epson CX11NF I bought just died after only about 15 months! Went to print today and no response, no LED, the thing is just dead. Maybe just a fluke, but I've NEVER had a printer die on me, I had a HP laserjet for over 10 years and it worked like new - in fact it's still working for the family I gave it to.

I'm also looking at the brother model 9840CDW (apple link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ950LL/A?fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/printers&mco=Njg2NDUw&p=1&s=topSellers

18. pprior macrumors 65816

Update: since I wasn't getting any response at all from my printer, I took it apart figuring it had to either be the power supply or a fuse. The fuse tested OK with an ohmmeter, but when I put it back in the printer fired up.

Not sure what the problem was, but (thank you Lord!) I don't have to buy a new printer.