Color Laser printer that doesn't suck

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doobybiggs, Apr 3, 2017.

1. doobybiggs, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I am in the market for a color laser printer that doesnt suck. Right now my Samsung CLX 3305FW $400 multifunction laser printer all in one type thing is awful! I have to reinstall it monthly because for whatever reason it forgets it is supposed to work with my imac.

So, what are some printers that actually work with OSX and a good quality?

Needs:
    Laser
    Color
    Copy/Scan
    Wifi/bluetooth connection
    MUST WORK 100% with Mac OSX

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

While I never recommend HP Inkjets, consider this one:

HP Laserjet Pro M477fdw Wireless All-in-One Color Printer, (CF379A)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014CSKE7E/

3. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

why dont you ever recommend them and why did you just now? Just curious ...

4. willmtaylor, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've had too many poor experiences with HP in general both personally and during my employment with Staples. However, this is a business class device and has been highly rated in several publications.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/#a-color-allinone-for-home-offices
    http://www.techspot.com/products/printers/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m477-mfp-series.124399/
    https://www.lifewire.com/hp-m477fdw-printer-review-2769027
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/268...-an-hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m477fdw-review/

I personally have a monochrome Brother AIO, and use online services for color prints, as it's more affordable and appropriate for my family's needs, but each to his own.

5. danielwsmithee macrumors 6502a

I've been very happy with my Brother Lasers, neither of which are multi-function. One is monochrome one is color. I'd start my search by looking at Brother's offerings. They just work.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

In most instances, I'd 100% agree with you, and I'm a big Brother fan (not to be confused with a "Big Brother" fan). However, when it comes to color, laser AIO devices, Brother has had issues with some of their machines.

7. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

I have a Brother dcp 9015cdw and on wifi it's rubbish. I have to re search for it with both my iPad and mac or switch it on and off again. Only works consistently via usb.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I have an HL-L2380DW, and it's fantastic. I have ZERO complaints. It prints quickly and reliably, and the toner lasts forever. I've printed from desktops, iPads, and iPhones without issue.

Brother HL-L2380DW Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I doubt that ANY color laser -- with possibly a few high-priced exceptions -- is going to produce color output anywhere close in quality to the run-of-the-mill inkjet printer.

That said, I've had excellent service from my Brother b&w laser.
    Running for years, best printer I've owned (except for perhaps the original HP "Deskwriter" from many years ago!).

10. kryten42 macrumors 6502

kryten42

I have this and am very pleased with it. Works flawlessly on macOS, even appears as a network fax.

Color is not for printing photos though, really for that you want a good inkjet (or just go to Costco/Target/WalMart etc).

I've had very good Brother B&W laser experience, this is my second HP Color Network Laser (pro series for both). Both have been excellent.

11. kschendel macrumors 6502a

We've had good luck with a Canon MF-8280 and it plays nice with the Mac (except for scanning, which is mostly OK except you have to walk over and press a button on the printer). I think it's been replaced with a newer model about which I know nothing.

I really like Brother monochromes but when we looked at Brother color -- at least 2 model iterations ago -- the color output was meh. Things may have changed, but I wouldn't buy a Brother color laser blind.

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I never installed any of the drivers that came with my Samsung laser. I just used the built-in macOS drivers.