Color matching status bar - scrap or implement everywhere!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by pad07, Jul 13, 2012.

1. pad07 macrumors regular

It is annoying me how inconsistent this implementation is. It's enabled for some stock apps, but not others. Why messages and not Safari?

Why on iPhone and not iPad? Why on some third party apps (eBay for example) but not most?

I read that it takes the average color of the bottom 1px of the title background, which is neat, but why can't it just do it automatically for absolutely every app where the status bar is visible?

I personally like it, but if it's going to be there, make it automatic and universal. Or just ditch it entirely. This sort of inconsistency in the UI should be avoided.

Hope Beta 3 sorts it.

2. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Myself I hope it is scrapped. I hate "clear" status bars. It's the reason I don't use any of the stock wallpapers - because you don't have the option of scaling the wallpaper to create a black status bar. I also make my status bar in OSX black (even though Apple doesn't let you change any elements like this as default settings) - just to me seems right.

On to your point, the inconsistency. I think some things in iOS have become inconsistent in design. The use of the (debatably annoying) "linen pattern" some places and not others being one that bugged me at first. This new status bar behavior doesn't seem to be going in the right direction, but maybe it'll be cleaned up.

Like a lot of things, I just wish Apple offered the choice.

3. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

There is a jailbreak tweak that I used when I was jailbroken that forced the use of the black statusbar everywhere and it was excellent. It made everything consistent and I wish that they was a way to do the same on stock firmware.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

What makes you think beta 3 will "sort it"? It's a design feature, not a bug, so there's nothing to sort.

5. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

6. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I like it but it's pretty random at the moment.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Not sure what you're getting at.

Edit: Oh, gotcha. You're saying some apps have it, some don't. Thought you meant it looks bad in general. I think the developer would have to implement it on their own. I don't think it's something Apple has to fix.

8. pad07, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

Why is it not in Safari, or videos? Yet in Messages and Photos it's there? Inconsistency in stock apps is unacceptable. I can accept third party developers may have to add it, but they're hardly going to bother when it's not the de facto standard across the native UI.

And it's called beta for a reason, so the UI can still be tweaked. Look at Mountain Lion's new dock style (which could come to iOS), added in the GM build.

And frankly there's a few things they should really do for unification purposes, like the omnibar in Safari, the less reflective dock a la Mountain Lion, and addressing the window chrome color; why is it silver on iPad Safari but blue on iPhone? Silver's cropping up everywhere from the new music app to the new maps app... yet a black invasion has happened on App Store.

Alarmingly UI elements like buttons and such are also designed differently in different apps. Take Maps then look at App Store. I don't know, I just think it's all becoming a bit reminiscent of the OS X mess with pinstripes and brushed metal. No one knew what to use in their apps and different native apps had different styles from around 10.3 to the clean up in Leopard.

It's not difficult, surely?

9. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

If it's just colour matching it should work with all apps, so it must be a bug.

10. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I've been through a load of apps and it seems to work with all the ones that have square corners at the top. If they're rounded the status bar stays black.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342219548.842501.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342219562.472031.jpg

11. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

It's not that consistent, though thank you for those screens. Videos and Safari actively defy the trend.

It's weird how some third party apps use it already without coding it in...?

12. 8a22a, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Videos and Safari both have the rounded corners.

The clock app is a good example. World Clock and Alarm has blue status bar but Stopwatch and Timer have a black status bar.

13. profets macrumors 68040

Just noticed the clock app, funny seeing the title bar change as you hit different sections of the app.

Looks like you are right about the rounded corners.

I do like the black title bar while in safari, as it doesn't distract while scrolling through different webpages.

14. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure if the developer for a particular app specifies black or silver status bar for their apps, it stays that way. The new coloring goes for the apps that don't specify how they want it.

15. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Who are you to say this? Does the average consumer really care?
    No. So stop complaining. Sounds like iOS doesn't fit you just because of the status bar. Try another OS if it bugs you so much. :rolleyes:

16. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

P!ss off :mad: I love iOS and Apple and passionately care that the company keeps doing well. Any "complaints" are because I care.

UI is very important and inconsistency should be avoided. That is all I said, so please don't come into a thread I feel I wrote in a constructive, relevant fashion on a DISCUSSION FORUM and tell me to, in essence, shut up. :rolleyes:

17. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

That colored bar should die a fiery death. It is part of the OS, not the app, so stop trying to unify it to the app!

18. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

We need at least one appearance change so you know it's iOS 6. ;P

19. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

20. cvam1985 macrumors regular

Something I've noticed - Photos has a "clear" status bar, not a "color matching" one

Thinking back now, wasn't it like that in iOS5?

21. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

In running iOS 5. It has a translucent grey bar

22. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think it's a pointless and ugly feature that should be scrapped. In fact, I was hoping with iOS 6 we'd see the iPhone adopt the cleaner and more modern silver and black style of the iPad's interface.

Instead, this rubbish... :confused:

23. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

It really bugged me to hear that the status bars in iOS 6 only adapted to certain apps. Just to see how it would look, I made a little java program that simulated mobile Safari with a "chameleon" statusbar. This is what it looked like in super low quality.

24. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

That may be fixed in beta 3, it might just square up the rounded corners.