Color picker for background colour slightly off?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c-Row, May 23, 2007.

1. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Is it just me or does the colour picker for background images slightly miss the chosen colour most of the time? :confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you talking about the eye dropper type of tool? In what application? It should be dead on to the pixel you selected. If you have a background that's dithered, has a gradient, or otherwise is not 100% uniform in color, then of course, you'll get whatever that pixel is and it may not be the overall color impression you get from the background.

Otherwise, can you post an example?

3. c-Row thread starter macrumors 65816

c-Row

Ah, eyedropper tool... that's what it's called... :rolleyes:

I am trying to set this picture as a centered background on my desktop (for those interested, it's a tee design from www.threadless.com - great shirts!). However, whenever I use the eyedropper to select the outer colour of the image so set the background colour to the same values, the colours are slightly off.

I am using a MacBook Pro, so it might be a display issue as well.

Attached Files:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a nice image! Mmm... I'd have to check at home, but my bet is that the background is not really uniform in terms of pixel color. Your options are probably going to be to... (1) stretch the image, (2) try to get as close as you can with the eyedropper, (3) use Photoshop to try and clone in a matching background with the same variation in hues.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What colour are you getting? I got this and it's fine for me ...#a4c2e4.

Did you change your picture to RGB first?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, incidentally, in this case there is no eyedropper. :eek: That's what the tool looks like in PS. I take it you use the magnifying glass? I tried it and I'm pretty sure I got a perfect color match.

If you're having trouble, and for now, you just want the desktop picture, tell me your display resolution (e.g. 1440x900 or whatever) and I can make a version for you with the image centered and the correct color surrounding it. :)

7. c-Row thread starter macrumors 65816

c-Row

He :) Thanks for your offer, but I could do this in Photoshop myself. It's just that the eyedropper/magnifying glass would be the far more comfortable option - and just another nice thing to impress fellow co-workers with and convince them into getting a Mac. :D