Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I have my Mac mini 2011 connected to a projector via Thunderbolt>HDMI. Until today, colours looked fine. After a restart (I believe which installed a security update) the color profile that's loaded after login looks awful. However, colours are fine at the login screen.
I've switched between all the color options in system preferences to no avail. The profile persists after a log out, but if I restart, looks good again until I'm logged in.
Any way to figure out the profile that's running after a restart, and make it persist?

Attachments

• IMG_9426.JPG
    IMG_9426.JPG
    968.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9428.JPG
    IMG_9428.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 49

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Pretty sure that the display color profiles don't load until after login.
I think it is likely that an update to the graphics drivers would affect the use of a profile, and you would just need to run a re-calibration (make a new profile for the projector.)
Do you get a good result if you calibrate the projector display (through your Displays pref pane/Color tab)?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you mean that the calibration didn't correct the projector image enough?
Or, that you COULD adjust to a good color, but the profile did not hold through a restart?
Did you use "expert mode" in the display calibrator? (Hold Option when you open the calibrator to see that expert mode checkbox)
Did you try turning "Night Shift" off? (Not sure if the 2011 mini supports Night Shift, so that may not be an option for you)

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for the thorough replies! I had the bright idea of trying another user account - where the same profile was used. The colours were perfect there. I ended up moving my data over (this is a media Mac so it was quick, not too many settings) and that’s working great. Still annoying but not a huge deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.